Thread: OpenOffice locks up

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

OpenOffice locks up

When I create a document in OO writer everything goes fine until I attempt to "save," or "save as." The save dialogue appears with no text or buttons and the main OO window greys out (see screenshot.png). The save window cant be closed with the close button on the top of the frame or by alt+f4. I have to close the main OO window.

I tried disabling compiz+emerald thinking its a likely culprit, however under metacity I find the entire screen locks up and not just OO and I have to restart X. I can print the document before saving, recovery will restore some of the document when I restart OO. The same lockup occurs if I attempt to export to pdf.

On further investigation existing Spreadsheet documents and presentations are also affected by this, not just new documents. Also, the open document dialog from within OO locks up in a similar fashion.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jive Turkey; July 2nd, 2008 at 08:21 AM. Reason: added screenshot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: OpenOffice locks up

yeah, I have never been able to use oo.org very well on Ubuntu. Mind you I never really have it on a super powered box either.
    You didn't post your computer specs, but could this be the issue?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: OpenOffice locks up

Quote Originally Posted by jonabyte View Post
    yeah, I have never been able to use oo.org very well on Ubuntu. Mind you I never really have it on a super powered box either.
    You didn't post your computer specs, but could this be the issue?
    It's definitely not a hardware limitation, an update fixed it.