Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Hard disk partitioning

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

[SOLVED] Hard disk partitioning

I have a laptop and I have vista and ubuntu in that (both in separate partitions)..
    I installed ubuntu by shrinking the c: drive which contains windows Vista...there are no more partitions in my hard disk viz, Recovery and MediaDirect(Dell)...Now I want to create a partition with FAT32 system so that I can share documents between vista and ubuntu..but I am unable to do so from vista as it says that the disk has reached maximum number of partitions...can it be done in ubuntu. If yes , then how?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Akash Singhal; July 2nd, 2008 at 06:18 AM. Reason: Grammatical mistakes
    Akash Singhal

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Post Re: Hard disk partitioning

Hi,

On every disk there can be up to 4 primary partitions. But you can instead create 3 primary partitions and one extended partition. The extended partition can contain many logical volumes, which basically behave just like partitions.

All you need is to do is to delete one primary partition (backup contents first!!!) and create an extended partition in its place. Inside it you can create logical volumes. I am not sure if I'm right but I think the extended partition should be the last partition.

You can do it under vista or you can use linux program called Gparted. There are also other programs but I always use this one.

Be careful when messing with your partitions, make backups!

I'm not an expert but so far this worked for me, so I hope this will help you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Hard disk partitioning

Will I be able to share data between the logical volumes of the extended partition and windows vista which is in a primary partition???
    Akash Singhal

Beans
    Hidden!

I don't know what file system Vista uses, but if its still NTFS you don't need a fat partition, the ntfs-3g linux driver fully supports reading and writing to ntfs partitions. If you do need a separate partition, I'd suggest using NTFS on it anyway instead of FAT32 - I find FAT32 has far to many limitations (e.g. you can't have a partition larger that about 32Gb).

In answer to your question: It makes no difference to windows or linux whether its a logical partition or a primary partition, so yes, it can share data across them.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Vista has NTFS system.
    I can access the Recovery partition through ubuntu which has NTFS file system but not the C: which contains windows although it also has the NTFS system.
    What is linux-3g driver..does that come along with the ubuntu 8.04 or do I need to install it through sudo???
    Akash Singhal

Beans
    Hidden!

The ntfs-3g driver comes pre-installed in 8.04, so you should be able to access the windows C drive. What exactly happens when you try - or don't you get the option to? You can try to mount it manually with
    Code:
    gnome-mount /dev/sda1
    assuming the c drive is on the partition /dev/sda1.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I dont even get the option...
    It shows me just MediaDirect and Recovery Partition.
    thanks for ur help..I'll try the command.
    Akash Singhal

Beans
    Hidden!

Chances are it the command I gave work if you don't get the option to do it from the gui. If it doesn't then try these command:
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /media/windows_c
    sudo mount /dev/sda1 /media/windows_c
    Once again, making sure /dev/sda1 is correct.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

yippeee

gnome-mount /dev/sda1 worked for me....thanks a lot for you...
    Akash Singhal

Beans
    Hidden!

Great. It should show in Places every time you start up, but it might have an unexpected name - e.g. disk. This is because it names it by volume label rther than where it is or whats on it. If you have any more problems post back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast