Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What companies need to support linux?

Beans

What companies need to support linux?

I read an article a few years ago about linux and what it needs to succeed. It said two compaines need to support linux in order to succeed. One was adobe, the other is the one I cannot remember?Can anyone tell me which compaines need to support linux both Hardware and software, Im just curious.......
    Last edited by shaan.mi; July 2nd, 2008 at 04:16 AM.

Beans

Re: What companies need to support linux?

Quote Originally Posted by shaan.mi View Post
    I read an article a few years ago about linux and what it needs to succeed. It said two compaines need to support linux in order to succeed. One was adobe, the other is the one I cannot remember?Can anyone tell which compaines need to support linux both Hardware and software, Im just curious.......
    Linux doesn't need any other companies. It would be nice, but it is not needed.

Success isn't defined by getting it preinstalled and crushing competition, but by being useful. It is already very useful, moreso than the alternatives in many cases.

It could be any companies listed. People who use Adobe products "need" Adobe to support Linux for Linux to be useful to them. The other was probably a gaming company of a sort.

Beans

By success I mean more users using it.
    Last edited by shaan.mi; July 2nd, 2008 at 04:21 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by shaan.mi View Post
    By success I mean more uers using it.
    In that case, the support by the gaming companies would be a big factor, based on what I see on this forum.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I think the biggest thing that is needed for is major pc company's.
    すべてと、そして、すべてへのリナックスは自由を鳴らせました。
    Linux to all, and to all, let freedom ring.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Call me arrogant, but i would ask, Which companies need to be supported by Linux?
    Gunashekar
    "where knowledge is free"
    Humanity Networks
    Chennai India

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoza View Post
    Success isn't defined by getting it preinstalled and crushing competition, but by being useful.
    They are related though. Having Linux preinstalled on more computers means more Linux users, means better support from third party software/hardware developers, means bigger overall usefulness of platform, means bigger overall usefulness of Ubuntu.

Of course, this can also work as a negative. Having Linux preinstalled on more computers means more Linux users, means better "support" from malware developers, means lesser overall usefulness of platform, means lesser overall usefulness of Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hardware manufacturers (solving driver issues, using open standards, opening drivers, etc)

Hardware Vendors (pre-installing it)

Linux takes the shape of people's needs. The linux of tomorrow will not be the same as of today.

as it increases in marketshare it's structure and interface will change a lot.

after this, we'll have support from big software companies and more independent developers
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by gunashekar View Post
    Call me arrogant, but i would ask, Which companies need to be supported by Linux?
    If MS keeps popping out winners* like Vista every company will want to be supported by Linux. Also some big name games would probably help get more desktop users. Since ATI is beefing up Linux support and promising crossfire drivers for Linux maybe a big FPS is in the works for Linux and it just hasn't been announced or at least I havn't heard about it.

*by winners I mean garbage.
    Last edited by ilrudie; July 2nd, 2008 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Clarification
    GNU/Linux>Windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ilrudie View Post
    If MS keeps popping out winners* like Vista every company will want to be supported by Linux. Also some big name games would probably help get more desktop users. Since ATI is beefing up Linux support and promising crossfire drivers for Linux maybe a big FPS is in the works for Linux and it just hasn't been announced or at least I havn't heard about it.

*by winners I mean garbage.
    Linux has good "big" FPS's already
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast