Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannot set number of Desktops after installing Compiz

Beans

Angry Cannot set number of Desktops after installing Compiz

Alright, so I have had this problem twice now, once I install Compiz onto my Ubuntu, both Gutsy and the new 8.07, I am no longer able to control how many desktops I have and has defaulted to 2. First I thought that I screwed something up in the install since I was having some other issues so I just formatted and reinstalled my Ubuntu and immediately set my desktops to 4 and it worked fine. Once I installed Compiz I no longer had 4 desktops, only 2, and cannot get any more or less even than 2 - it is just stuck there. I can change the numbers to whatever I want, but it doesn't make a difference, just sticks on the 2 desktops.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-t...tu-58113.shtml

above is the guide I followed, and everything else seems to be working fine as I can use the cube effect to switch between the desktops, and all the other stuff is fine...so what could be doing this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Cannot set number of Desktops after installing Compiz

If there are two boxes in the right of the bottom panel, right click on that and click preferences. Increase the number of workspaces. If there is not, right click on any panel and add a workspace switcher. Then, do the steps above.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by petzworld999 View Post
    If there are two boxes in the right of the bottom panel, right click on that and click preferences. Increase the number of workspaces. If there is not, right click on any panel and add a workspace switcher. Then, do the steps above.
    I have already done that. It is already currently set to 4 but still only has 2. Like I said above it doesn't matter what number I have it set to after installing compiz. Pre-install it worked as it was supposed to.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If you are running compiz (desktop effects) you will only see one desktop on the bottom right, to add more install the advanced desktop settings package "compizconfig-settings-manager" by opening a terminal and typing

Code:
    sudo aptitude install compizconfig-settings-manager
    Now you can access it from your System-->Preferences menu

Here you can modify all the plugins to your hearts content, Click on the General options and select the desktop size tab, here you can add and remove desktops for the switcher.
    Gnu is not a question.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CheeseEatingBulldog View Post
    If you are running compiz (desktop effects) you will only see one desktop on the bottom right, to add more install the advanced desktop settings package "compizconfig-settings-manager" by opening a terminal and typing

Code:
    sudo aptitude install compizconfig-settings-manager
    Now you can access it from your System-->Preferences menu

Here you can modify all the plugins to your hearts content, Click on the General options and select the desktop size tab, here you can add and remove desktops for the switcher.
    Ahh thank you. I had the manager installed but the only panel option I didn't check was the General Options, because that would make too much obvious sense. I knew there had to be something stupid and obvious I was missing. Thanks a ton!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hey there i have quite a similar problem:

I have installed Compiz and Compiz Setting Manager and have now 2 desktops. I need only one desktop and no matter what i try to do in Compiz or in the Panel item, two desktops remain.

How can i change this? Thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jesuisbenjamin View Post
    Hey there i have quite a similar problem:

I have installed Compiz and Compiz Setting Manager and have now 2 desktops. I need only one desktop and no matter what i try to do in Compiz or in the Panel item, two desktops remain.

How can i change this? Thanks
    Same solution that worked for me. Open the Compiz Panel and goto General Options - Desktop Size and then drop the Horizontal Virtual Size down from 2 to 1 et voila!

Beans
    Distro

And i had to reboot of course

Thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jesuisbenjamin View Post
    And i had to reboot of course

Thanks
    No problemo

Beans
    Distro

Errr wait a minute... Now all my effects are gone. It's all been reset!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast