Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: VMware Tools for VMware Workstation 6.0.4 build 93057 on Ubuntu 8.04 guest

Beans

Re: VMware Tools for VMware Workstation 6.0.4 build 93057 on Ubuntu 8.04 guest

Ok, I did see that 'patch' is not in my instructions to install -- the people that have had success probably already had it installed. I was thinking it was installed with the 'build-essential' package, but I investigated that, and it appears that it is not.

Now, you did say that you tried doing 'sudo apt-get install patch' --
    That really should work -- There is a 'patch' package in Ubuntu Hardy Heron that provides the /usr/bin/patch command, which I use in the script.

Have you tried updating your list of packages from the sources? (Click the 'Reload' button from synaptic package manager, or type 'sudo apt-get update' from the command line)

Beans

At step 8, I get the following error:

patch: **** strip count l is not a number
    I have checked as per step 1, and the program 'patch' is installed.

EDIT: My mistake, for some reason the patch command wasn't copying over into the console properly. I had to manually type in the '-p1' bit.

The patch is much appreciated, VMware tools appears to have installed properly now. Time to see if sharing works...
    Last edited by Mountaingod; July 17th, 2008 at 09:24 PM.

Beans

I have the same problem. At step-8. There is a prompt saying file to patch. Also step-3 it said not find build-essentials.

Beans

Ahh you spotted a typo in step 3 -- the package is not named 'build-essentials', but 'build-essential' --
    So the command would be:

Code:
    apt-get install build-essential
    So, clean up all that you've done sofar, and try the steps again with this change.

Subsequent steps after 3 depend on the build tools being installed, and thus will fail.

Beans

Talking Re: VMware Tools for VMware Workstation 6.0.4 build 93057 on Ubuntu 8.04 guest

Just wanted to say THANKS!

Worked like a charm for me. I just wish I would have found these instructions sooner.

~the cyberDrake

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I'm stuck on step 1!
    Perform the VM->Install VMware Tools... action in VMware to get the VMware Tools virtual CD mounted in Ubuntu.
    This doesn't do anything for me. I get:
    Code:
    tar: /media/cdrom/VMwareTools-6.0.4-93057.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
    tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
    tar: Child returned status 2
    tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
    What am I doing wrong?

Beans

thanks! works perfectly!

Beans

Works fine. Easy to use.
    Thanks a lot!!!!!
    Mike

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by twoseids View Post
    This doesn't do anything for me. I get:
    Code:
    tar: /media/cdrom/VMwareTools-6.0.4-93057.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
    What am I doing wrong?
    It's quite possible you're not using VMware Workstation 6.0.4 build 93057. If you want to try with a different build of VMware workstation, the patches may not apply cleanly (because they may have changed the VMware tools sources), however, you can try applying the patches to a different VMware tools build..

Just alter the initial tar command I have listed with the VMwareTools-*.tar.gz that is actually present on your virtual vmware tools CD that gets mounted when you "Install VMware Tools" from the vmware menu, and follow the rest of the instructions.

Again, I do say that the patches I have provided in all likelihood will not work with different builds of VMware Tools, however it might, so it's worth a try.

Beans

Thanks for the great info, it worked like a charm.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast