Thread: Help with networking 2 home computers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Smile Help with networking 2 home computers

Hi, I Have 2 computers 1 is a Dell laptop with wi-fi and the other is a
    dell desktop which has a hp5610 printer connected to it.
    I have a Belkin wirless N router, the desk top is connected to it by hardwire and of course the lap top communicates by wireless. What i would like to do is share folders, files and print from my laptop to the printer that is connect to my desktop. Both computers have Ubuntu ultimate 8.04 installed on them. the name of my laptop is connie@connie-laptop it was connie-laptop but when i added the domain named workgroup the name of the comptuer changed, the same for my desktop it was gary-desktop now gary@gary-desktop.

My laptop ip is 192.168.2.4
    My desktop is 192.168.2.2

broadcast address is 192.168.2.255
    subnet mask 255.255.255.0
    default route 192.168.2.1
    primary DNS 192.168.2.1
    secondary DNS 0.0.0.0
    hardware address: 00:16:44:6D:FF:70 Laptop
    hardware address: 00:0B:DB:CD:F7:E2 dessktop

I am new to Ubuntu but i have used it enough to know i want to stay with it, i like it very much i have set up every thing myself this is the last thing i need to do to make things complete. Please could someone out there take some time out of their day and help me or right a step by step procedure a dummy could follow. i have spent 2 days trying to get it to work with samba but i have failed to get it to work.

Thanks
    Last edited by Garyb1; July 2nd, 2008 at 12:53 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Help with networking 2 home computers

When talking networking, before long, you'll start hearing about things like SSH and "samba"

There's a good tutuorial here that talks about Samaba. Don't be put off by the reference to Windows - many of the basics still apply
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

For our home network we don't use Samba. We use NFS and ssh.

My wife has a script to log her into the shared directories on my PC (Music, Images, HerFolderOnMyPC). Once logged in she sees those directories in Nautilus.

I use that, but also Places->Connect to Server which connects to her whole file system by logging in my ID. I also use ssh to log into her PC on the CLI and vncviewer to, with her click of OK, take over her screen to show her how to do some task.

I don't think any of that is required for printer sharing. Just when you set up the printer under System->Administration->Printing (I think) you tell the system if you want to make the printer visible to the network. She has the better printer so her printer is shared. It shows on my PC as available just like my local printer.
    Last edited by ridgeland; July 13th, 2008 at 12:30 PM. Reason: typo
    Gigabyte GA-MA790GPT-UD3H - AMD Phenom II x3 720 - 8 GB RAM - 2009 - My first PC from parts!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by ridgeland View Post
    For our home network we don't use Samba. We use NFS and ssh.

My wife has a script to log her into the shared directories on my PC (Music, Images, HerFolderOnMyPC). Once logged in she sees those directories in Nautilus.

I use that, but also Places->Connect to Server which connects to her whole file system by logging in my ID. I also use ssh to log into her PC on the CLI and vncviewer to, with her click of OK, take over her screen to show her how to do some task.

I don't think any of that is required for printer sharing. Just when you set up the printer under System->Administration->Printing (I think) you tell the system if you want to make the printer visible to the network. She has the better printer so her printer is shared. It shows on my PC as available just like my local printer.
    I have yet to see a printer function in Linux. What kind do you both have?

Beans
    Distro

"I have yet to see a printer function in Linux." That's shocking!

My wife's PC has a Canon i560. The driver is something else like B7000.
    I had an Epson ColorStylus 777 but replaced it in June with a HP all-in-one 5610v. Mandriva and Ubuntu both did all the installation for me, very easy. The printer and scanner work fine. I doubt I'll ever try the fax feature.
    My Mom's PC (Ubuntu 8.04) uses a Canon LBP1260 an ancient black only Laser via parallel port. ($10 at the Living Hope thrift store in Eau Claire) Works great except photos in grey tone are unimpressive.
    The PC I set up for our church uses Fedora Core 4 (latest release when I set it up) with an Epson Action Laser 1000. Another old black only Laser that works fine.

The only printer I could not get to work was a Lexmark.
    http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/OpenPrinting
    called it a paper-weight. Even that may have a driver now.
    Gigabyte GA-MA790GPT-UD3H - AMD Phenom II x3 720 - 8 GB RAM - 2009 - My first PC from parts!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

"I have yet to see a printer function in Linux." That's shocking!

My wife's PC has a Canon i560. The driver is something else like B7000.
    I had an Epson ColorStylus 777 but replaced it in June with a HP all-in-one 5610v. Mandriva and Ubuntu both did all the installation for me, very easy. The printer and scanner work fine. I doubt I'll ever try the fax feature.
    My Mom's PC (Ubuntu 8.04) uses a Canon LBP1260 an ancient black only Laser via parallel port...
    Well, to be fair I have only tried to setup my girlfriends Dell printer, but that seemed to be a lost cause. Although it was over a year ago, so perhaps something came out for it.

...($10 at the Living Hope thrift store in Eau Claire)...
    I bought a coffee table there just a few weeks ago for my house that I will be living in once school kicks up again.

Beans
    Distro

Hi Ek0nomik,
    Before I dared to gamble $10 on a thrift store printer I checked
    http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/OpenPrinting
    to see if it would be a winner or a loser. It got good marks so I went back for it the next day. It doesn't say "Toner Low" or anything so I suspect it was donated because someone replaced a PC only to find the new PC didn't have a parallel port and they could no longer use the laser.
    I thought you were in near-by Eau Claire.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I've had very good luck with brother printers. At work we have a 9840CDW and for the price it's an awesome machine. It servers 5 people working out of a small office. It doesn't work with Ubuntu out of the box, but just follow the linux directions on their website and it's cake. Scan, print and fax all work for me.

The best feature we like about it is that you can scan directly to email. It also duplex scans and prints, but we don't use that much. The only issue I have with it is that full page color prints (photos) will streak and blotch, but that's not really what we got it for anyway.