Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wine Programs Can't Detect Mounted .iso

Beans

Wine Programs Can't Detect Mounted .iso

I've recently downloaded the program 'Rebirth RB-338' which is a synthesizer program normally ran on Windows. I've had the desire to run it with Wine, so I downloaded the .iso file from their website. The .iso is called 'rebirth.iso'.

So I type the following command to mount rebirth.iso to the '/media/rebirth' directory..

Code:
    sudo mount -o loop ~/rebirth.iso /media/rebirth
    The file mounts with no problems to the /media/rebirth directory. Using the CLI I can navigate to it and run the .exe installation file..

Code:
    wine /media/rebirth/"Install ReBirth RB-338.EXE"
    The program installs with no problems to it's default directory. A shortcut is put on my desktop.

Now, with the rebirth.iso file still mounted to /media/rebirth - I click on the icon. The application begins to start and prompts me with the following message..

Code:
    Please insert the ReBirth RB-338 2.0 CD. Waiting for CD...
    Am I doing something wrong here? I opened up winecfg and clicked on the 'Drives' tab and added drive G: as /media/rebirth to see if it worked, but no cigar.

I've tried this with other programs that are supposed to run with a .iso file as well, but they don't work either. If anyone can offer any kind of advice - I will greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.
    Om.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Wine Programs Can't Detect Mounted .iso

I think you need to add the isos mount point as a drive before you install it. Otherwise, just burn it to a CD and run it normally.
    Last edited by cogadh; July 1st, 2008 at 10:11 PM.

Linux User #355330 | Ubuntu User #15618 | Last.FM

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cogadh View Post
    I think you need to add the isos mount point as a drive before you install it. Otherwise, just burn it to a CD and run it normally.
    Just gave that a shot and unfortunately no luck. I'll just burn it onto a CD then, thanks a lot for the advice.
    Om.

Beans

Question Re: Wine Programs Can't Detect Mounted .iso

Burning the .iso is the easy way (assuming there are no copy-protect issues), but I like to take the more clever approach. I mount my disc images to /mnt/iso, and I added this as a CD-ROM mount point in Wine Config, and I think the problem might be that Wine can't yet autodetect the serial and label. Any ideas?
    There is no system but GNU and Linux is one of its kernels.
    Join the FSF as an Associate Member!

Beans

I just posted the following answer to another post. Maybe it'll help you too.
    Repost:

Hey,

I had a similar problem recently, which was solved the following way. Let's hope it will work for you too:

Wine manages a directory $HOME/.wine/dosdevices where symbolic links for mapping Windows-drives to locations in your filesystem are held. Just enter the directory in a terminal and examine it yourself (ls -l command).

There are links that have one colon (e.g. E which are refering to the mapping directory in your filesystem, and there drive-letters followed by two colons, which are used to point to a actual physical device (e.g. D: -> /dev/cdrom).
    So I not only tried to loop-mount my iso and bind it to drive E:, but also to bind the "physical drive" E:: to the iso itself, so that the windows software may find the cd's serial and stuff. And guess what, it worked at least for me

Code:
    $ sudo mount -o loop /home/viktor/image.iso /mnt/iso
    $ cd $HOME/.wine/dosdevices
    $ ln -s /mnt/iso e:
    $ ln -s /home/viktor/image.iso e::
    $ wine explorer
    unfortunately I somehow couldn't start the software with
    Code:
    wine /mnt/iso/setup.exe
    I had' to use wine explorer, navigate to drive E: and start setup.exe by double-clicking it.

good luck.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Thanks viktor!
    This solved my problem.

Some thing however keeps puzzling me: On my old system, I didn't have to mount the ISO and it worked properly.
    In fact, the "D::" symlink could even point to an invalid drive or not exist at all. Only on my newly installed Ubuntu, I've had to link the ISO.

I think it's also related to wine not storing label/serial information properly (winecfg displays an empty value if you re-open it)

Beans

Thumbs up Re: Wine Programs Can't Detect Mounted .iso

hi viktor4124,
    thank you very much for your input. it worked for me too, even on freebsd.
    before i've read your posting i was googling for hours and experimenting quite much, but with no success.
    after reading your posting it worked immediately!

kind regards,
    osf

Beans

I tried this method and -o is not an option it says. It gives me a long list of options and what they do but -o is not there and I can't think that any of the others would be useful for what I need it to do. Anything else I can try? I've also tried mounting in Gmount-iso and Wine still can't recognize the drive even if I refresh the drive listings in the settings. Thanks in advance.

Beans

Talking Re: Wine Programs Can't Detect Mounted .iso

Detail:

ln -s ~/...path-to-rebirth*.iso driveletter::

Here's a little tutorial:

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2010/1...beat-machines/

Worked like a charm.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by indigocat View Post