Thread: Run script without sudo passwd

Beans

Question Run script without sudo passwd

I am trying to run a script at startup that requires sudo priviledges. What is does is run the smbmount command to mount a network drive. How can I run this without sudo passwd? I edited sudoers and tried both these lines:

jmasgalas ALL=NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/smbmount
    jmasgalas ALL=NOPASSWD: /home/jmasgalas/mountscript

It still does not work. Here is the exact command in the script:

sudo smbmount //server/share /mnt/H -o username=xxxx,password=xxxx,file_mode=0777,dir_mod e=0777

What am I doing wrong?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Run script without sudo passwd

Why do you want to run without sudo? If the script needs to access root files then it'll need sudo privileges.

Beans

I want it to run on startup. Right now it does not work because it needs sudo priviledges.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jmasgalas View Post
    I am trying to run a script at startup that requires sudo priviledges. What is does is run the smbmount command to mount a network drive. How can I run this without sudo passwd? I edited sudoers and tried both these lines:

jmasgalas ALL=NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/smbmount
    jmasgalas ALL=NOPASSWD: /home/jmasgalas/mountscript

It still does not work. Here is the exact command in the script:

sudo smbmount //server/share /mnt/H -o username=xxxx,password=xxxx,file_mode=0777,dir_mod e=0777

What am I doing wrong?
    You actually don't need to mess with modifying your sudoers file in this case; if you want to run any commands/scripts on startup as root, just stick them in your /etc/rc.local file. All commands/scripts in rc.local get executed as root, so no need to put sudo in front of them in that file.

Also, if you haven't done it all ready, I would first try that smbmount command out on the command line to make sure you have it exactly right.

Beans

Try to make your script executable

Code:
    sudo chmod +x <script_name>
    Copy the script to /etc/init.d directory.

Code:
    sudo cp <script_name> /etc/init.d
    Execute the update-rc.d <script_name> defaults command as root

Code:
    update-rc.d <script_name> defaults
    Steady movement is more important than speed, much of the time. So long as there is a regular progression of Stimuli to get your mental hooks into, there is room for lateral movement. Once this begins, its rate is a matter of discretion.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have a script to connect to my bluetooth mouse. Ordinarily, the command is sudo hidd -s, after which I have to input my password. The script I wrote, however, does it for me, so this might work for you:

Code:
    sudo hidd -s &&
    mypassword
    This doesn't work in an application launcher, but running the file path to the script in the launcher does connect my mouse (I just have to type /home/beth/etc. to run it, or actually double-click on it, instead of typing sudo hidd -s $$ mypassword as the command to run with the launcher.)

Give that a try. I hope it works.
    Veni, vidi, dormivi.