Thread: Open Office 2.4.1. crashing when trying to save documents

Beans

Open Office 2.4.1. crashing when trying to save documents

For some reason the latest release of Open Office has been very crash-happy for me of late. Usually, it will crash on me when trying to save documents that were saved as .doc but it will often crash when trying to save documents as .odt as well. In the "about" screen it says my version is openoffice.org-core 1:2.41-1ubuntu1. Fri Jun 13 14:20:46 UTC 2006.

I'm using Hardy with the latest updates, starting oowriter in a terminal doesn't give me any clues or error messages.

Does anyone have any suggestions where I might start looking for clues as to what might be wrong? This is really annoying as I use Open Office pretty much every day. Lots of thanks in advance.

Beans

Re: Open Office 2.4.1. crashing when trying to save documents

Likewise! I don't know when precisely things changed here but sometime since updating I now suddenly find that I cannot save spreadsheets either as "save" or as "save as"
    Writer keeps telling me it has encountered an error and will recover documents but doesn't and immediately crashes out!!!
    Fortunately I do have a laptop on which all is working ok but I have no means of saving documents to any media in order to tranfer them and I'm certainly not going to dare doing it over the network!

Beans

I thought I was clever and tried wiping the hidden config files in my home directory, which didn't do anything. Hmmm.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

i had a similar problem with the old version of open office. the trick was to go into tools->options->open office.org (the first option) and un-select the 'use java'.

no idea why, but that fixed my open office crashing issues. hopefully it will for you guys too...

if not im out of ideas!
    'I know lifes a bummer baby, But thats got precious little to do with me' - Monster Magnet

Beans

Thanks for the suggestion, but that didn't work for me. Thanks for encouraging me to start messing with the options, though, I've found that checking the "use open office.org load/save dialogs" option fixed the problem -- for now.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

no problem. im glad you managed to fix your problem - fingers crossed for good!
    'I know lifes a bummer baby, But thats got precious little to do with me' - Monster Magnet