Page 48 of 64 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast

Thread: Info and help for HP TX2500 Series

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Info and help for HP TX2500 Series

Hi tkb123,

To install linuxwacom drivers follow gali98's tutorial exactly. There is a new driver out 0.8.2, rather than the 0.8.1-6 in the tutorial. You could subsitute the new version # for the old. Don't type the commands, copy and paste them.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...47#post5469447

You also need tablet entries for your xorg.conf, located in /etc/X11/. I'll include a TX2500 sample xorg.conf so you can see what I mean. Even with the wacom kernel module installed the stylus etc. won't work without these entries in xorg.conf.

Unfortunately ATI's proprietary driver "fglrx" does not support rotation. You'll need to switch to Xorg's "radeon" driver if you are using it. Deactivate in System>Administration>Hardware Drivers. Be careful, some people say that it destabilized their laptop. Maybe already have the "radeon" video section from the sample xorg.conf installed before deactivating. That way you can restart X with
    <ctrl><alt><backspace>.

Then to go on to rotation, see:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=996830

Don't worry if it seems complicated. If you take it one step at a time it really isn't hard.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Thanks Favux,

I will start with your instructions now. Merry Christmas!

I also had to turn my key repeat off, I never noticed how much I use that (usually with the backspace key). The delay before it starts repeating is too short even when it is set to the longest. I tried setting it at the command line too, but that gave the same range as the control panel.

I'm still struggling with forums too, as well as entering tags, I don't see the thanks button that was there yesterday. I guess I should look for another thread for that.

Beans
    Distro

Thank you gali98 & Favux

A couple of things I think would be useful to add for anyone following these instructions (although they may be covered in other posts; I'm still struggling navigating this thread...

References to 0.8.1-6 should be changed to 0.8.2 for the latest version (as Favux told me)

The main instructions for activating the touchscreen and pen is at:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...47#post5469447 (as Favux told me)

An addendum that is also needed is in the same thread at:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...97#post5478097

In the addendum,

Before you do the command
    >./configure --enable-wacom
    change the path to where you were in that step:
    >add> cd ~/Desktop/linuxwacom-0.8.1-6

If you are on Intrepid, replace 2.6.24 with 2.6.27 in this line:
    >sudo cp ./src/2.6.24/wacom.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/input/tablet

Also of note (or maybe just ridiculous):
    At the command:
    >sudo apt-get install build-essential libx11-dev libxi-dev x11proto-input-dev xserver-xorg-dev tk8.4-dev tcl8.4-dev libncurses5-dev
    You get the message:
    48.2MB of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
    I tried y Y n and yes, but it kept saying abort afterwards.
    When I started everything over, the capital Y worked.... (and, of course, subsequent commands worked much better)

For extreme Linux newbies like me, I could also clarify:
    when you do
    > uname -r
    You will see either the word 'generic', or (what I assume to be) 'rt'
    You then always use the commands that end with -generic and not the ones that end with -rt when given a choice in the instructions.

This got my pen working. I'm excited. Now I'm getting to the fun part, editing configuration files!

Beans
    Distro

tx2500 keyboard problem

I have what I consider an abnormality, that I am surprised I have not seen any mention of on-line....

After working for a day or two, My keyboard went completely non-functional. (all the special buttons around the monitor, and the volume controls, still worked)

I looked up HP support when my keyboard stopped working in Vista, I ended up with a support chat person who took me through a series of steps, including removing all the keyboard drivers and letting them re-install. The steps she took me through didn't even include a reboot, yet she concluded that I had a hardware failure and directed me on how to return the laptop.

Undaughnted, I tried a few more idea's I had, and found that if the laptop was in slate position around the time the bios startup is complete and the OS takes control, the keyboard stopped working. This occurred even if the monitor wasn't all the way clicked down, but as long as it was within a few inches of it and in the position to be used as a tablet.

Once this happened, no mater what I did (rebooting, off/on, etc), I could not get it to work again (hence my call to HP Support).

What I found to make it work again was to unplug the Laptop AND Remove the Battery.

Once this was done I could get into the BIOS, but found that nothing in there was helpful. I did try the option to reset the BIOS, but that didn't change anything. Again everything works fine now as long as I don't turn it on (or take it out of hibernation) while it is positioned in tablet position.

I still did not want to return it right away... I wanted to try Ubuntu.

I planned to install Ubuntu anyway.

The same thing happens using Ubuntu, so it looks like it is a hardware problem, although a weird one.

Has no one else experienced this?

Beans
    Distro

Hi tkb123,

Glad to see you have Wacom working! Good info./corrections to the tutorial. Unforturnately gali98 hasn't posted in about 6 weeks. So there's nobody to look at them and maybe update the tutorial. Hopefully he'll be back after the holidays.

Sorry about the keyboard thing. I've never heard of it. Could it maybe be a loose connector? I guess you can't check because it would probably void warranty.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks Favux,

It could be a connector, I was wondering if it might even be firmware, it is just so consistent for a connector problem, but I'm still in agreement it is most likely a connection. Something that still baffles me is, if a wire is not connected when pulled that far, the system may not see the keyboard and never set it up; but then why doesn't it work when I turn it off and on? Why do I have to remove the battery and ac power to convince the system it should be used again?

I'm not sure what I want to do about it, I have the next two weeks off work, so I hate to send it back and not be able to play. My current thought is I really want to tinker with the Ubuntu install and try to get it configured well by January so when I have to regulate my time to accommodate 40 hours at work each week again I have a good start at understanding the OS. I'm a tweaker, I'll spend hours at work to automate a one hour job so next time it will go faster, then next time I'll spend more time to make it even easier.... I'm sure I'll never stop messing with this OS (unless something wins me over to another distro) I tried Fedora many years ago, I didn't last half a year with that one. Linux has obviously come a long way since then.

So I'm thinking I can image the drive in January and send the laptop back then. They say the turn around is about a week. I haven't asked when I need to send it back by (30 days? 90 days?). I guess I need to do that soon.

Do you (or anyone) know about a good drive imager, and what they are capable of? I can take this to another forum (or research it on Google). But I've never noticed any mention of Linux and Windows in the same advertisement I've read in the past. The optimist in me says I can download a freeware imager, then image the Vista/Ubuntu/grub installation as one image to an external USB hard drive as one big file. And just image it back later in case HP feels they have to re-install the Vista OS (or replace the laptop instead of fixing it).

If you can, could you put your monitor in the tablet position, except lift the monitor up just enough to get you fingers in there? does the keyboard then work? Mine doesn't, yet it does when I do that with the monitor swiveled to the normal laptop position (the monitor turns off about 2 inches from closed, but the keyboard still works).

Beans
    Distro

Hi tkb123,

My monitor also goes off but keyboard works as I close it in normal laptop position. The keyboard also works when screen swiveled into tablet position and resting on my flattened fingers. Sorry, still sounds like a hardware issue. Removing power probably justs allows clearing whatever buffer is getting messed up by the hardware glitch.

Bad time to have a glitch when you're trying to set up. Temptation is to get it fixed so it doesn't mess up your set up. But can you trust HP for 1 week, or if you're lucky, less turn around?

Backup or disk imager is something I haven't tackled yet. You might want to look at:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=35087

Good luck.
    Last edited by Favux; December 26th, 2008 at 09:33 PM.

Beans

Hi

What/where or how can I work with the cpu-scaling?
    I'm using Ibex on a HP tablet tx2590oe. The fan is working the whole time (not on 100% but still really noisey) even when nothing is going on.
    It would be nice to have a more quite laptop!!!

Martin

Beans
    Distro

Hi martinjochimsen,

This thread probably has information you're looking for. It's weird, I just ran into it today. I'd think twice about using any of it though unless I was real sure.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...highlight=puma

If you do, let me know how it goes.

Beans

martinjochimsen,
    All I did was apt-get install powernowd. That automatically controls scaling. I also added the "CPU Scaling" panel gadget that comes with ubuntu. It lets you switch to a solid frequency: 600, 1200, 2400 (mhz/core), as well as switching modes: conservative, on-demand, performance. I find it to work very well, plus it lets you constantly monitor what frequency your cores are running at.

Page 48 of 64 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast