Thread: Assistive Technologies won't work, though "at-spi" is installed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Assistive Technologies won't work, though "at-spi" is installed

I've had this problem for a while, but I want to take care of it now. Anyway, I've been wanting to use Mousetweaks for some of its click functions for a while, now, but GNOME's Assistive Technology features fail to activate.

I have "Enable assistive technologies" checked in "Preferences > Assistive Technologies." However, if I go to "Preferences > Mouse" and try to activate any of the mouse functions under the "Accessibility" tab, it tells me that Assistive Technologies is not enabled, though it is. Finally, whenever I log in (after typing my password and pressing enter, and after the screen blanks, but before anything new appears and before it even loads my settings), I get this message:

Assistive technology support has been requested for this session, but the accessibility registry was not found. Please ensure that the AT-SPI package is installed. Your session has been started without assistive technology support.
    Trouble is, the "at-spi" package is installed... I don't know what to do.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! (I'm using 8.04 "Hardy Heron")
    Last edited by Cherry Cotton; July 1st, 2008 at 05:35 AM. Reason: Add the version I'm using

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Assistive Technologies won't work, though "at-spi" is installed

Quote Originally Posted by Cherry Cotton View Post
    I've had this problem for a while, but I want to take care of it now. Anyway, I've been wanting to use Mousetweaks for some of its click functions for a while, now, but GNOME's Assistive Technology features fail to activate.

I have "Enable assistive technologies" checked in "Preferences > Assistive Technologies." However, if I go to "Preferences > Mouse" and try to activate any of the mouse functions under the "Accessibility" tab, it tells me that Assistive Technologies is not enabled, though it is. Finally, whenever I log in (after typing my password and pressing enter, and after the screen blanks, but before anything new appears and before it even loads my settings), I get this message:

Trouble is, the "at-spi" package is installed... I don't know what to do.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! (I'm using 8.04 "Hardy Heron")
    Bump. The same problem here. It's installed and it complains anyway.

No idea what is causing the actual problem because the error message doesn't specify.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Swoosh!

Yet another guy on the boat!

I'll try looking elsewhere, and if I find the solution so that others may find help here.

--Caleb

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have EXACTLY the same problem as the OP and I see this thread has remained unanswered for almost 3 years.

I have Googled for a solution like crazy and have seen that several people have had the same issue but I haven't found an answer.

Thoughts?
    BJ