Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [privacy]HELP Is there a safe search engine out there?

Beans

Exclamation [privacy]HELP Is there a safe search engine out there?

ive had enough of google basically.
    why?
    -they store your searches
    -they track you through the web with a cookie that lives longer than some humans(too many people complained of their 36 year cookie and they eventually chopped it down a bit)
    -they "scan"(read) all the g-mail
    -they help totalitarian govt's sensor the web for their people orwellian style (ie freedom has a price tag) and they will sensor the internet as they please.....

-----despite this they have refused many times to purge their "BLOGGER" website of deliberate racist neo-nazi blogs-----

-they sell your data to anyone who wants to buy it
    -they scan popular social networking sites , where people voluntarily make profiles about themselves, and store that data-------

-----and now they have "google operating system" gOS (i know its not but it might as well be "google operating system") aimed at people who willingly make profiles of themselves) (!!!!)-----------

-they have made it well known that they work with the NSA ,ie the same people micro$oft handed a backdoor key for windows to. The ADVAPI.DLL,look it up(they denied it of course)
    -they also have ties to internet "phone companies" eg skype, (i wonder what they could be doing there)

--they can use their search engine to trace your IP, locate your whereabouts ie your home address, lookup who lives there,and once they have your full name and address they can have a look at your history, credit cards bank accounts spending habits, educational background. pretty much anything. ALL LEGALLY despite what country you live in.

The list goes on and on if i told you the rest you probably wouldn't even believe me, its not private stuff, they happily publish it .
    why....?

im not from america but, i recently heard that they were putting microphones in parks and calling them "gunshot detectors" amazing.

as the saying goes "if you wanna hide something put it in plain view"

over some time ive realised that:
    -disabling cookies doesent stop google profiling
    -using a proxy doesent stop it either

if you think they would go this length for relevant text ads dont even bother replying.

PLEASE does someone know of a NON-PROFILING NON-orwellian NON-God complex search engine.
    the following search engines are relatively the same as google

-live
    -yahoo
    * AltaVista
    * AlltheWeb
    * GoodSearch
    * Rectifi
    (yahoo owned i think)
    -lycos
    -ask
    -aol

once again PLEASE HELP, recommend a good search engine.
    thank you

Beans

Re: [privacy]HELP Is there a safe search engine out there?

http://www.scroogle.org/cgi-bin/scraper.htm

This one is a good choice.

Also, you could always use TOR or a proxy to search google.

Oh, should have read the whole thing.

No proxies.

Another search engine all together?

http://www.gigablast.com/
    Last edited by billgoldberg; June 30th, 2008 at 11:44 PM.

Beans

The moon will illuminate my room and soon I'm consumed by my doom.

Beans

I've never tried this, but someone recommended it to me once.

http://technorati.com/

It's some sort of search engine for blogs and such. It's not really up to general search engines standards, but it might suit your purposes.

Hope this helps,
    Lockerhaxor
    My site exists on teh interwebz!!! www.thelockerblog.com !

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
    A clustering search engine uses other search engines (like google), this is what the OP didn't want.

Beans

I switched my home page to gigablast and added it to the firefox search field.

There eco page is worth a read.

And the search results are good.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by radical3 View Post
    -----despite this they have refused many times to purge their "BLOGGER" website of deliberate racist neo-nazi blogs-----
    As long as they don't break the law...

-they sell your data to anyone who wants to buy it
    -they scan popular social networking sites , where people voluntarily make profiles about themselves, and store that data-------
    That is what search engines do

-----and now they have "google operating system" gOS (i know its not but it might as well be "google operating system") aimed at people who willingly make profiles of themselves) (!!!!)-----------
    Wrong. Do your research. The 'g' stands for Green I believe and is not made by google.

-they have made it well known that they work with the NSA ,ie the same people micro$oft handed a backdoor key for windows to. The ADVAPI.DLL,look it up(they denied it of course)
    Yes, it is usually advisable to cooperate with the government.

--they can use their search engine to trace your IP, locate your whereabouts ie your home address, lookup who lives there,and once they have your full name and address they can have a look at your history, credit cards bank accounts spending habits, educational background. pretty much anything. ALL LEGALLY despite what country you live in.
    Not true. Only an ISP could do anything remotely like that.

[I]im not from america but, i recently heard that they were putting microphones in parks and calling them "gunshot detectors" amazing.
    Gunshot detectors are valuable. I live near a bank and Convenient store. This area just got a new camera + gunshot detector (if I tree weren't blocking it, I would be able to see the poll it is on.

You are, essentially, asking for a search engine that doesn't work. They have to index what they see, and to be effective, they have to do it well.

Your facts are wrong and overblown in many cases. If you don't want to have the possibility of losing privacy, don't use the internet

Also, please change your avatar. Read the Code of Conduct, such things are not allowed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

"Security lies within the user of who runs the system. Think smart, live safe." - Dr Small
    Linux User #441960 | Wiki: DrSmall

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoza View Post
    As long as they don't break the law...

That is what search engines do

Wrong. Do your research. The 'g' stands for Green I believe and is not made by google.

Yes, it is usually advisable to cooperate with the government.

Not true. Only an ISP could do anything remotely like that.

Gunshot detectors are valuable. I live near a bank and Convenient store. This area just got a new camera + gunshot detector (if I tree weren't blocking it, I would be able to see the poll it is on.

You are, essentially, asking for a search engine that doesn't work. They have to index what they see, and to be effective, they have to do it well.

Your facts are wrong and overblown in many cases. If you don't want to have the possibility of losing privacy, don't use the internet

Also, please change your avatar. Read the Code of Conduct, such things are not allowed.
    You're right, the OP did exaggerate a bit (the old google is evil with hidden USA bashing), but their adsense/google syndication goes a bit to far for me.

I used scroogle for a while, but I now switched to gigabyte.

Something new every now and then keeps things interesting.

Beans

gigablast has been mentioned twice, but on their management page, it clearly states their vice president used to work for the NSA.

@LaRoza
    thank you for your input it helps balance out my biasd views, however i think time will tell if they are overblown or not

@billgoldberg
    GOOD GOD im not bashing usa, its just the only example i could think of besides a lot of people on this site are from america, i thought it would make more sense to use an example from america. but thanks for scroogle , read up on them, unbelievable, they can run all your searches through ssl. thanks for that one

btw have you read 1984?
    Last edited by radical3; July 1st, 2008 at 12:30 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast