Thread: NXclient Shadow session see's root instead of user.

Beans

NXclient Shadow session see's root instead of user.

I'm using no-ip and the nxclient applications to access my systems remotely, and they work great.

The only issue I've got is that after upgrading from fedora 8 to fedora 9, the nxclient see's the user as 'root' instead of the real user (root session as opposed to 'Chris' session) that is logged in on the system.

In fedora 8, this works perfectly and the user shows as 'lisa' where on 9 it shows as 'root'. So, you are not permitted to connect to the root session.

I've been working on this for a while, and believe it has to do with the updates to gnome/gdm in fedora 9 and also might be in ubuntu 8.04. That's why I'm posting on here.

What I don't understand yet, is how the nxclient identifies the session, and determines what the username is. I'm thinking the issue is with gdm or gnome.

See the details below. Two sessions show up, the one is my remote as a new session on the system, and the second is the local display that is really logged in as 'chris' not 'root'.

Lisa

NX> 105 Listsession --type="shadow"
    NX> 127 Session list possible to attach::

Display Type Session ID Services depth Screensize Status Session Name Username
    ------- ------------ -------------------------------- -------- ---- -------------- ----------- --------------------- ----------------
    1006 unix-gnome 0BA7AB4393AD503681FD41A0 -RD--PSA 24 1400x984 Running Remote-Chris lisa
    0 X11-local 901BCB65BD434F0FF5133453 --D--PSA N/A N/A Running Local display root

NX> 105 Attachsession --link="adsl" --backingstore="1" --encryption="1" --cache="16M" --images="64M" --shmem="1" --shpix="1" --strict="0" --composite="1" --media="0" --session="Remote-Chris-Shadow" --type="shadow" --client="linux" --keyboard="pc105\057us" --id="901B7C5BCB65BD4A6AC34F0FF5133453" --display="0" --geometry="available"
    NX> 596 ERROR: Cannot share session of user: root.
    NX> 596 ERROR: User: root is not a NX user.
    NX> 105 NX> 280 Exiting on signal: 15

Beans

Re: NXclient Shadow session see's root instead of user.

Hi Lisa,

I am seeing a similar problem using Fedora, see following thread:

Code:
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=209586
    Did you ever come up with a solution?

Thanks,

Dorado

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Just came across this problem myself.

EnableFullDesktopSharing = "1"
    EnableAdministratorDesktopSharing = "1"

settings in the /usr/NX/etc/server.cfg (starts around line 609), allowed me to shadow a normal local session in karmic.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MarkJB View Post
    EnableFullDesktopSharing = "1"
    EnableAdministratorDesktopSharing = "1"
    these 2 settings resolved the original error message for me too under 9.10 but I now get a different error:

NX> 596 ERROR: Could not generate cookie: .
    NX> 596 Error: Unrecognized answer from nxnode: 0
    NX> 999 Bye.
    NX> 105 NX> 280 Exiting on signal: 15