Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: 10 problems in Ubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: 10 problems in Ubuntu

Only 10? Vista FTW!!!111oneoneone [/troll]

To be serious though, for me Ubuntu has just a few small problems. I'd like it to look awesome right out of the box, which intrepid seems to be addressing. Secondly, Ubuntu doesn't play nicely with my intel wireless 3945ABG network connection.

Apart from that it's fine really
    If someone tells you to sudo rm -rf ANYTHING, then DO NOT DO IT!

Don't run any command with rm in it unless you know EXACTLY what you're doing.

Beans

The main problem for me was the minimum 350 RAM to install where XP is less than 200 MB, so ubuntu is not for everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Ubuntu
    Desktop CD

The desktop CD allows you to try Kubuntu without changing your computer at all, and at your option to install it permanently later. This type of CD is what most people will want to use. You will need at least 384MB of RAM to install from this CD.
    Last edited by strunal; July 1st, 2008 at 10:33 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by strunal View Post
    The main problem for me was the minimum 350 RAM to install where XP is less than 200 MB, so ubuntu is not for everyone
    The Desktop CD now has the option to install without running a full live session.

You can also use the Alternate CD, which will work on even 128 MB of RAM (possibly less).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    The Desktop CD now has the option to install without running a full live session.

You can also use the Alternate CD, which will work on even 128 MB of RAM (possibly less).

AH! the 384MB of RAM is for the experience of the live session and not just the full install?, it was a bit of a shock when i first found out about the huge RAM required and felt it was not in the nature of Ubuntu

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by strunal View Post
    AH! the 384MB of RAM is for the experience of the live session and not just the full install?, it was a bit of a shock when i first found out about the huge RAM required and felt it was not in the nature of Ubuntu
    Considering the whole OS, WM etc is basically being run in physical ram (no swapping etc), that's tiny...
    Hmmm...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

384 MB is for installation while the live session is running.

If you want to do only an installation (with no full live session) or only a live session (with no installation), then 256 MB should be sufficient (if a little slow).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by K.Mandla View Post
    I think it's a load of rubbish. Cherrypicking "Canonical's forums" and plucking ten problems that Ubuntu needs to fix is ridiculous.

I may as well skim through The Times and accuse Britain of ten social problems -- then demand they fix things, because it's keeping people from immigrating to the UK.

It's amazing what passes for "journalism" sometimes. I expected better from linux.com, but I guess I was deluding myself.
    +1.
    I particularly liked the " ... and they're all solvable".

The whole article reminded me of these "ubuntu should do this" "ubuntu should do that" "what ubuntu really needs [to become mainstream] is ..." threads on these forums, just better written.

Beans

July 3rd's release addressed about two thirds of the problems.
    We'll have to see if 8.0.4.1 is what it's cracked up to be.

As far as issues concerning eye-popping dazzle, why not quit being so smug?

You don't impress me that no one is groveling at your feet because you're:

MARVELOUS!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Ten answers to the article in order:

1: Get an Nvidia graphics adapter for under £20

2: Read Hermanzone and learn how simple it is to edit Grub

3: Use pysdm, it's in the repos and is a GUI mount tool

4: Use the Alternate CD (or just use the extremely simple solution already mentioned in the article)

5: Completely uninstall Pulse Audio

6: Blacklist ipv6

7: At last, a genuine niggle (for a few people/hardware)

8: Use webmail instead (which some people prefer)

9: Click the Help icon in the panel

10: Ubuntu has massive repos, and if the software you want isn't included, there are usually .debs available. The chances of "having" to compile from source are extremely small, personally (in almost three years of using it) I have yet to compile anything from source for Ubuntu.

I am surprised that this article ever saw the light of day on that website as the points raised are mostly trivial and certainly not dealbreakers in my opinion.
    Just illustrates either a lack of knowledge on the part of the writer or making mischief.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by gn2 View Post
    Ten answers to the article in order:

1: Get an Nvidia graphics adapter for under £20

2: Read Hermanzone and learn how simple it is to edit Grub

3: Use pysdm, it's in the repos and is a GUI mount tool

4: Use the Alternate CD (or just use the extremely simple solution already mentioned in the article)

5: Completely uninstall Pulse Audio

6: Blacklist ipv6

7: At last, a genuine niggle (for a few people/hardware)

8: Use webmail instead (which some people prefer)

9: Click the Help icon in the panel

10: Ubuntu has massive repos, and if the software you want isn't included, there are usually .debs available. The chances of "having" to compile from source are extremely small, personally (in almost three years of using it) I have yet to compile anything from source for Ubuntu.

I am surprised that this article ever saw the light of day on that website as the points raised are mostly trivial and certainly not dealbreakers in my opinion.
    Just illustrates either a lack of knowledge on the part of the writer or making mischief.
    those are exactly the things new users could avoid doing..

that's the authors intention

it's not a rant, he clearly states those are the TOP 10 repeated posted problems in the forums that are solvable.

oh and he has a laptop
    Last edited by madjr; July 2nd, 2008 at 04:00 AM.
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast