Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Not booting, maybe drive order

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

[SOLVED] Not booting, maybe drive order

I just installed Ubuntu Server 8.04 AMD64 and it will not load the GRUB at all. I suspect it might have something to do with the order of the disks not remaining constant. My boot drive can show up as sda, sde, or sdh. I think I may be able to get it to show up the same everytime if I don't change anything in the BIOS but after installation I want to disconnect the optical drive. I will also be putting a couple more drives in after I get it to boot up.

So what can I do to have the drive mapping remain constant for GRUB? I have seen a couple other threads about this same topic but no definitive answer yet.
    Last edited by kextyn; June 20th, 2008 at 04:09 PM.

wpshooter is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Distro

Re: Not booting, maybe drive order

If you are saying that you are planning on "permanently" doing away with your optical drive, I think you are making a mistake !!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Can you boot a Live CD?

Dr. Fernando Duran Dollenz
    Libertad 584

Beans
    Distro

Why is it a mistake to run without an optical drive? I was doing it for over a year previously with Feisty...or was it Edgy, I can't remember. The problem is I don't have the space for an optical drive. I have 12 5.25" bays which are full of hard drive bays (4 drive bay takes up 3 5.25" bays). I could keep the optical drive connected and sitting at the bottom of the case but I'd prefer not to. I just hook it up when I need it (which is when I install Ubuntu, almost never any other time.)

I can boot to the LiveCD which is how I figured out my drive order kept swapping. When I installed Ubuntu my boot drive (IDE) was recognized as sda. device.map also shows hd(0) as sda. But each time I booted to the LiveCD it was either sde or sdh.

Maybe I'll just have to hook up 10 drives plus the optical and always have that number of drives (they won't stay the same because 2 of them will be changed pretty soon.) I'll have to do some testing to make sure that the mapping remins constant as long as I don't change anything.

wpshooter is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Distro

IMO, if you have 10 drives in your system, you need to either get several larger drives to replace these or get some different type of system. I sure would not want to hear the noise that a system with 10 drives in it might make (if the drives were properly cooled) !!!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by wpshooter View Post
    IMO, if you have 10 drives in your system, you need to either get several larger drives to replace these or get some different type of system. I sure would not want to hear the noise that a system with 10 drives in it might make (if the drives were properly cooled) !!!
    lol

8 500GB drives...can't afford to upgrade those right now. They are cooled with 120mm fans which are fairly quiet (I have a 90 and 80mm fan in the same case which I leave off because they're much worse than the 6 120's that are running.) It's a steel case and the hard drive bays are mounted on rubber grommets. It's actually pretty quiet compared to my other systems. But I have it in the laundry room anyway.

Beans
    Distro

Did you disconnect any of the drives while you installed Ubuntu Server 8.04?

Libertad 584

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Pumalite View Post
    Did you disconnect any of the drives while you installed Ubuntu Server 8.04?
    No, I left everything plugged in except for 2 drives which have not been plugged in since I put in the disc the first time.

Beans
    Distro

Try reinstalling your Grub then:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=224351

Libertad 584

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Pumalite View Post
    Try reinstalling your Grub then:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=224351
    Tried that exact solution. But when I restarted it I had the same problem. So I put the LiveCD back in and found that the boot drive had changed from sde to sdh. Even if I change it to the correct hd(#) the device map will not dynamically update it the next time it changes to sda or sde will it?

I didn't have much time to mess with reinstalling GRUB this morning. I'll mess with it some more when I get home.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast