Thread: Installing manually over package manager install

Beans

Installing manually over package manager install [solved]

Hi,

I use the KDE desktop 3.5.8 and have k3b version 1.0.3:installed, but I noticed that it doesn't have all of the features that are listed here (there is no advanced tab in my K3b version and it doesn't have that blue skin as is posted here, as mine is rather generic looking,

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/...d.php?p=772752

So, I figure that this is a newer version of k3b.

As a general question, should one remove a pre-installed package that was installed by the package manager, or came with the OS, before installing a manually installed package with 'make' 'make install' type commands? Just not sure if it will be installed over it or along side it. The package manager I use is aptitude and k3b came installed with the OS.

Thanks!

Lisa
    Last edited by Cubby; June 29th, 2008 at 06:55 PM. Reason: mark as solved
    AMD Athlon64 FX-57 cpu, ASUS A8N-E mb, 550W ps, nV8500GT graphics card, CMI8788 audio card, 160G SATA hd. Dual boot XP Pro nLite

Beans

Re: Installing manually over package manager install

Quote Originally Posted by Cubby View Post
    As a general question, should one remove a pre-installed package that was installed by the package manager, or came with the OS, before installing a manually installed package with 'make' 'make install' type commands? Just not sure if it will be installed over it or along side it. The package manager I use is aptitude and k3b came installed with the OS.
    Install the compiled program in the /usr/local hierarchy. Both versions can then exist side-by-side.
    Brian.