Thread: installed ubuntu updates, nvidia driver broken (again!)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Angry installed ubuntu updates, nvidia driver broken (again!)

I had been away from this particular machine for about 2 months because of a trip, and when I came back and turned it on, I saw that I had about 150 updates to download, which being the anal-retentive user I am, I got right away. At this point, my nvidia settings were fine, and my resolution was a cozy 1280x1024.

Upon reboot, however, I got the famous "running in low-graphics mode" dialog and it suggested the Vesa driver, which as we all know, is horrible. I'm pretty new to linux, and i had a very similar problem before, but my college roommate was a compsci major and fixed my video settings for me (it took about an afternoon of fiddling with it) and now I can't get a hold of him. It's really hard to work in 640x480 with 16 colors.

I have envyng and had it install the nvidia driver to no avail. The I downloaded the nvidia driver from nvidia.com which is a *.run* file, and was not able to do anything with that (if someone could remind me of the coding that would be great!) Then I typed in a command that nvidia suggested to get something like nvidia-glx-new? but of course that failed too.

I am just really stuck, and if anyone has resolved a similar problem I would really appreciate the help. I've looked over the forums and searched and tried several different fixes to no avail. Here are my system specs:

Ubuntu 8.04 (latest update)
    Opteron 165 @ 2.45 GHz
    DFI LanParty NF4 SLI-DR
    2x1GB G.Skill DDR SDRAM
    eVGA 7800GTX PCI-E 256MB GDDR3
    Seagate 320GB SATA 300

Thank you in advance for the help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: installed ubuntu updates, nvidia driver broken (again!)

bump

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Cool Re: installed ubuntu updates, nvidia driver broken (again!)

When you do get it figured out, if you run the nvidia driver in the repos, this won't happen again.

Last edited by steveneddy; June 29th, 2008 at 02:46 AM.
    If at first you don't succeed - just buy the company and tell them to make the one you want.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

About the problem, how did you install the driver in the first place?
    Think carefully before executing commands containing "rm", especially "sudo rm -rf ", if you require more information concerning this matter, read this.
    I am an experimenter, give me the most stable OS and I can make it unstable in a few hours.

C == seriously fast == FTW!

Beans

I am having this issue as well whenever the kernel or the nvidia driver updates. If I install the kernel before reinstalling the Nvidia drivers, then it causes a problem. I created a bug report, but after at least a month, it does not appear to have even been seen. If interested, it is bug #240742.

Beans

Hello, as you can see, I am pretty new to ubuntu, but I also had some problems with my nvidia driver. I installed it with Envyng, and when i was finished rebooting, I too ran in low-graphics mode. However I solved this problem by typing (sorry, I do not know how to make the terminal box):

sudo dpkg --configure -a

in terminal. After reboot everything was fine. Hope this was helpful.