Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: iMac G3

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: iMac G3

Maybe you could force an early fsck with the alternate or live installer - I'd have to look that up again.

You could also check the cd for errors. With my alternate installer, at the second stage of the yaboot boot: prompt, hit -tab- to get a list of options.

For 32-bit ppc
    Code:
    check
    or for 64-bit PPC G5's:
    Code:
    check-powerpc64
    20" G5 iMac - AMD64 HP desktop
    http://www.ppclinux.info/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

What is weird is the checksum5 matches after I download the iso, it matches after I burn it to disc, but it fails when I check the disc when I put it in the iMac.

Beans
    Hidden!

It seems to be pointing to the cd-rom. Is the lens dirty? Maybe blow it out with some air? The cdrom could just be on it's last legs.

Some things I'd try:

Where are you downloading the images from btw?

You could try a different brand of media. Or, perhaps fall back to an older release that might have different timing in the drivers - I'd give Feisty 7.04 "alternate" a try - just to see if you have a corner-case with timing issues.
    20" G5 iMac - AMD64 HP desktop
    http://www.ppclinux.info/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thank you for you help. I have given up on it, I believe it is a bad cd drive and is not worth replacing. Thank again for the responses.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by emackey3k View Post
    Thank you for you help. I have given up on it, I believe it is a bad cd drive and is not worth replacing. Thank again for the responses.
    The fact that OpenFirmware was able to load the Linux kernel from the CD and execute it seems to indicate that the CD-Rom drive is working fine. Much more likely is that the ide/pmac.c driver that controls both the CD-Rom and hard disk has been broken by recent modifications to the code.

I suggest capturing the output of the 'dmesg' command and filling out a bug report on the Linux kernel bugzilla.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12