Thread: DVD/CD drive

Beans

Exclamation DVD/CD drive

I'm setting up a new PC with Ubuntu, for another family member, and the CD/DVD drive seems to be failing. When I insert a Data CD (ISO or other files) it reads quickly, but when I insert a CD or DVD (Music/Video) it makes ticking noises and can't seem to read the disk. I also have a second CD only drive, that can read CDs and write CDs, but not dvds. This is on Hardy 8.04 on an older (2 years) dell. Thanks, TDJACR.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Re: DVD/CD drive

Quote Originally Posted by Thedjatclubrock View Post
    I'm setting up a new PC with Ubuntu, for another family member, and the CD/DVD drive seems to be failing. When I insert a Data CD (ISO or other files) it reads quickly, but when I insert a CD or DVD (Music/Video) it makes ticking noises and can't seem to read the disk. I also have a second CD only drive, that can read CDs and write CDs, but not dvds. This is on Hardy 8.04 on an older (2 years) dell. Thanks, TDJACR.
    Are those CD's/DVD's you are inserting, commercially recorded or home made? If they are home made, have you checked the possibility that those CDs/DVDs may be either corrupt or incompatible with the drive in your machine? However if they play well on another CD/DVD drive, then the former drive may be failing.

Beans

Re: DVD/CD drive

They are commercial, but the drive reads non-media(video/audio) cds. It can read the ISO from the install, and it can read a burnt data CD but cd/dvds for media fail.