Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dual boot with vista. But vista broke?

Beans

Dual boot with vista. But vista broke?

Hi all!

First, im new with ubuntu. I decided to try it since I didn't like vistas slowness.

I really like this ubuntu. It looks good, is fast and has loads of software to play with.

After I had done lots of research and managed to make partition for ubuntu I installed it to this (actually yesterday). When booting I allways saw the window where it asks if you want to boot ubuntu or vista. Today I decided to go to vista to share my music to ubuntu also but when I tried to start vista I got error message something like: "Missing or corrupt file Windows/System32/Winload.exe" and it told me to insert vista dvd and using its fix system to fix things.

I inserted the cd. But my computer didn't react to it anyhow. I told bios to boot first from cd but it still went to the screen ubuntu or vista.

I'ts not end of the world if I lose vista but I'd like to keep it in case that linux doesn't have something it has.
    Couldn't anyone tell me what to do?

I need to either fix somehow that the "Winload.exe" doesn't work, or then getting my computer somehow to boot from my vista dvd.
    Maybe I installed ubuntu wrong. I read some stuff found from google but they didn't help me. Someone sayd something intresting though that this happens because vista tries to boot from wrong partition or something like that. Hope that helps you analyze my problem.

Beans

Re: Dual boot with vista. But vista broke?

Quote Originally Posted by Akingboy View Post
    Hi all!

First, im new with ubuntu. I decided to try it since I didn't like vistas slowness.

I really like this ubuntu. It looks good, is fast and has loads of software to play with.

After I had done lots of research and managed to make partition for ubuntu I installed it to this (actually yesterday). When booting I allways saw the window where it asks if you want to boot ubuntu or vista. Today I decided to go to vista to share my music to ubuntu also but when I tried to start vista I got error message something like: "Missing or corrupt file Windows/System32/Winload.exe" and it told me to insert vista dvd and using its fix system to fix things.

I inserted the cd. But my computer didn't react to it anyhow. I told bios to boot first from cd but it still went to the screen ubuntu or vista.

I'ts not end of the world if I lose vista but I'd like to keep it in case that linux doesn't have something it has.
    Couldn't anyone tell me what to do?

I need to either fix somehow that the "Winload.exe" doesn't work, or then getting my computer somehow to boot from my vista dvd.
    Maybe I installed ubuntu wrong. I read some stuff found from google but they didn't help me. Someone sayd something intresting though that this happens because vista tries to boot from wrong partition or something like that. Hope that helps you analyze my problem.
    i have some problems with what ubuntu does to my winxp, and when i was searching for some solution i've found this http://www.pplware.com/2006/11/27/3-...-no-boot-menu/ i think this don't help me, but i think it can help you to understand. but if anyone knows more about it trough that website i think they can help you.

Beans

i've just realize now that it's in my language, but try to translate it trough google translators page to your language..hope that helps. it tells u the order of the installations. and what to do..

Beans

If it gets to the point where it says .exe not found that means its not a problem with grub. Are you sure you did not format your windows partitions?

what is the output of

sudo fdisk -l

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

It won't boot from the VIsta DVD? Try pressing F10, F11, or F12 during boot...on a lot of motherboards one of these keys will bring up a menu where you can select which drive to boot from (not the bios screen). If it won't boot from the disk, it may not be a bootable disk...because it will attempt to boot from it, and if it can't, it will move on to the HD.

Is this a Vista DVD, or like a Dell restore CD?

Beans

Its vista dvd.

I try to spam f9-f12 now after booting.

I think I didn't format my vista because all the games and files I had are still there. I can browse them trough ubuntu.
    And there is windows folder and inside system32 is that "winload.exe".

Sudo fdisk -1 is this:
    sudo fdisk -1
    fdisk: invalid option -- 1
    blaablaa...
    And if you meant this then sudo fdisk 1 says:
    Device cannot be opened
    And I don't know how to use google translator
    Last edited by Akingboy; June 27th, 2008 at 06:32 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Akingboy, you entered the command incorrectly.

You need to enter

Code:
    fdisk -l
    It is the letter 'L', not the number 1.
    Everything that has a Beginning, has an End

Beans

Hmm I got something like this:

Device, Running, start, end, sector, id, system
    /dev/sda1 * 1913 19317 139805662+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda2 1 1912 15358108+ 83 Linux
    /dev/sda3 19318 19457 1124550 82 Linux-sivutus(I think means swap)/Solaris

Someone analyze.
    Last edited by Akingboy; June 27th, 2008 at 06:47 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Akingboy View Post
    Its vista dvd.

I try to spam f9-f12 now after booting.

I think I didn't format my vista because all the games and files I had are still there. I can browse them trough ubuntu.
    And there is windows folder and inside system32 is that "winload.exe".

Sudo fdisk -1 is this:

And if you meant this then sudo fdisk 1 says:

And I don't know how to use google translator

go here http://www.google.pt/language_tools?hl=en-EN and where it says translate webpage put the link i gave you..translate from Portuguese to English.

Beans

I read that but if I understood right I would have to completely reinstall vista and ubuntu?

Wouldn't be a big deal but just confirming.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast