Thread: mplayer won't open, libvga.so.1 missing

Beans

mplayer won't open, libvga.so.1 missing

Hello smart gurus, I'm having trouble with installation of mplayer. I am using Hardy Heron. I installed mplayer with: apt-get install mplayer. At first it started ok with gmplayer. But a few days later, none of the commands work: mplayer or gmplayer. And the error message from the terminal says:
    "mplayer: error while loading shared libraries: libvga.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

Please, for those who are able, help me out here!!!

Thanks!

Beans

Re: mplayer won't open, libvga.so.1 missing

Hi,

You are missing these files:

Code:
    /usr/lib/libvga.so.1
    /usr/lib/libvga.so.1.4.3
    Looks like you need definitely the first of the files below, the 'dev' file will be usefull later if you ever compile against libvga:

Code:
    $ sudo apt-get install libsvga1 libsvga-dev
    You can see the details here. A more interesting question is how did the file become mislaid .

Andrew
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

Thank you Andrew, but "$ sudo apt-get install libsvga1 libsvga-dev" did not work. libvga.so.1 is no where to be found. In a few days, if I still couldn't get it to work. I will just reinstall Ubuntu. I am little dissappointed with ubuntu now. So many things did not work as I hoped.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

libvga1 and libvga-dev are in the Universe repository. You must have universe enabled in your software sources in order to get them.

Beans

try this instead
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install libsvga1 libsvga1-dev

Beans

Guys,

I didn't encounter any trouble installing libsvga1 and libsvga1-dev, but no avail. But never mind, I will reinstall ubuntu. I am a little swayed now to try red hat. What do you guys think about red hat. Are ubuntu and red hat similar enough for me to make a smooth transition?

Anyway, thank you for your prompt respond. This is the first time I post on a forum. I could not possibly anticipate that people would respond to my question to quickly. I appreciate this nice first experience.