Thread: Installing GUI for 8.04 server

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Question Installing GUI for 8.04 server

How would I go about installing the GUI on a server running Hardy with only the CLI?

AND, is that something that is recommended? I am not adept at using the CLI, and am having some issues with Apache after upgrading to 8.04...just wondering if the GUI would be easier for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Installing GUI for 8.04 server

Take a look at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...wMemorySystems for some ideas. I know that you may not have a low memory system, the concepts in the link apply to installing a GUI atop a server install (in fact, that is the general thrust thereof).

EDIT: Generally, one does not install a GUI on a server system; if this helps you, hey, its your computer, do what makes you feel comfortable. BTW, you could have, had you chosen to do it, done a desktop install and then added the server apps you wanted. Someone on the Forums likes to post something like this: "Desktop Ubuntu = server + GUI", with which I generally agree, recognizing that the kernel for the server edition is optimized for server apps.
    Last edited by avtolle; June 27th, 2008 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Additional thoughts

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Talking Re: Installing GUI for 8.04 server

Sooooooo...it is generally a bad idea to install the GUI (or at least frowned upon)

This is my very first dive into anything Linux related...

Ok, I will open a new thread with the apache issues so I can get that resolved.

Thanks for the info!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Like I said, it's your computer, and you should do what you need to do to feel comfortable. That's what it's all about, to me (freedom of choice and all).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

If you decide to, installing a gui should be as simple as:

Code:
     sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
    Registered Linux User: 482377
    MacBook (1,1) - OS X Leopard
    ASUS P5LD2 - Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz - 2GB Corsair RAM - Nvidia 8800GT - Ubuntu 9.04 / Windows 7 Professional