Thread: [HOWTO] Sun Java Firefox Plugin for 32 bit and 64 bit (Useful for Runescapers)

Beans

[HOWTO] Sun Java Firefox Plugin for 32 bit and 64 bit (Useful for Runescapers)

Well, this is my guide to set up Sun Java (needed for Runescape) in Ubuntu, both in 64 bit (AMD64) and 32 bit (i386). If you don't know whether you have 32 bit or 64 bit, go to a terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal) and type this:
    Code:
    uname -m
    If it says x86_64, you have 64 bit, if it says i686 or x86 then you have 32 bit.

32 Bit (i386):

In terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal):
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install sun-java6-plugin ; sudo update-java-alternatives -s java-6-sun
    And you should be good to go

64 Bit (AMD64):
    Thanks to Sun, it's slightly more complicated...although when the final Java 7 is released it should be as easy as it is in 32 bit EDIT: 64 Bit Java beta is released. You can install it if you want, but right now I'm too lazy to update the guide. Once it's final I will though, and soon after that it should hit the Ubuntu repositories, rendering this guide almost useless EDIT: Hmm, the beta 64 bit PLuygin seems to white screen RS, at least now. It worked before the christmas event, now it still doesn't work. I'll leave this up.

Run each line one at a time in a terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal):
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
    wget http://jp-nii02.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/3.6/linux-i686/en-US/firefox-3.6.tar.bz2
    tar -xf firefox-3.6.tar.bz2
    sudo mv firefox /opt/firefox32
    sudo apt-get install ia32-sun-java6-bin
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib/jvm/ia32-java-6-sun/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so /opt/firefox32/plugins/
    sudo ln -s /opt/firefox32/firefox /usr/local/bin/firefox32
    Now run the command 'firefox32' to start the 32 bit Firefox, complete with a Runescape compatible Java Make sure you close all instances of Firefox before you do this or it won't work!
    Last edited by doorknob60; February 13th, 2010 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Updated to newest firefox in 64 bit guide (3.6)
    Arch x86_64 User / Windows 7 x64 Dual Boot | Nvidia Geforce GT 430 | AMD Phenom II X4 925 (2.8 Ghz, Quad Core) | 6 GB DDR2 RAM | 500 GB HD