Page 12 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: How-To: 2.6.14 Vanilla Kernel (latest) + ck Patchset (Enhanced Performance kernel)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Cool Re: How-To: 2.6.14 Vanilla Kernel (latest) + ck Patchset (Enhanced Performance kernel)

Kernel update: ok

Only problem is that it doesn 't detect my 'WMP54G' wifi adapter anymore. Is there an explanation. Did i forget an option during kernel compilation??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: How-To: 2.6.14 Vanilla Kernel (latest) + ck Patchset (Enhanced Performance kernel

@curtis: Thanks. I now applied ck1 too 2.4.16-2 without errors.

Kernel compiles and installs fine now. But I can't boot it because root seems not to be mountable.

Code:
    mount: mounting /dev/root on /root failed: Device or resource busy
    mount: Mounting /root/dev on /dev/.static/dev failed: No such device or directory
    mount: Mounting /dev on /root/dev failed: No such device or directory
    I included my ide chipset driver, sata, all filetypes into the from the original ubuntu kernel inheritated kernel config. Don't know if it's related to the initrd scripts or if I'm missing something important in my config (see attached file).
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Re: How-To: 2.6.14 Vanilla Kernel (latest) + ck Patchset (Enhanced Performance kernel

I asked this question earlier, but was unable to get a response. I am new to compiling a kernel, and this went really well. My question is, once done, what can I remove fromthe source folder I built the kernel in? It is using a lot of memory that I would like to free up. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: How-To: 2.6.14 Vanilla Kernel (latest) + ck Patchset (Enhanced Performance kernel)

You could remove the whole folder /usr/src/linux, don't forget to install kernel-headers as well, perhaps you need it later for some other kernel modules.
    But creating an archive and burning it to cdr/dvdr is recommended.

Beans

Re: How-To: 2.6.14 Vanilla Kernel (latest) + ck Patchset (Enhanced Performance kernel)

Tried this how-to with the current ck5 patch.
    Compiled ok and everything seems to work.
    A few quirks though:
    iwconfig gives the following warning:
    Driver for device eth1 has been compiled with version 19 of Wireless Extension, while this program supports up to version 18.
    Some things may be broken...

it works ok still. waproamd seems to have some problems, will have to look into that.

Even the boot-up splash screen works, but now it's displaying xubuntu instead of ubuntu ? not a big problem but wtf?

Beans

Hi,
    After installation of new kernel ( which went flawlesly, and I finally got SOUND with Intel ICH 6) , Firofox would not launch
    I was messing around with the browser befor new kernel...so that must be it...just don't know how to fix it. Please...
    In terminal it returns:

INTERNAL ERROR on Browser End: Expected version > 5! Version = 4

System error?: : No such file or directory

Tried reinstallation already.
    Thank you in advance

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Reading through the 12 pages I was able to gather almost all the information I need to compile this myself. I just need some more info though.

ATI drivers: Solved
    Mount ntfs: Solved
    Mount FAT32: ?
    Mount HFS+: ?

Please comment on the last 2.

Beans

I compiled kernel 2.6.15 and now it usplash does not work and vmware has that to configure all time to load ("runme.pl"), and no reboot (halt ok).
    I am use patch-2.6.15-rc1-ck1.bz2.

somebody can help?
    Last edited by tasca; November 18th, 2005 at 09:46 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

I followed this guide on two different machines, and it worked flawlessly on both occassions. On the one machine, I followed your guide, step-by-step, and it worked perfectly. On the second machine, I took my time and tweaked the kernel to suit this machine, removing all unnecessary modules and drivers, and wow, there was a very noticeable increase in the overall performance of this machine (PII 400 Mhz, 128 MB SDRAM).

Beans

One question I have is that when I go to configure my kernel options, everything is already selected. For instance, where it says,

...*While you may tweak your kernel configuration to your needs I will sugest you some tweaks:

In "General Setup" activate:

-Support for paging of anonymous memory (swap)
    --Support for prefetching swapped memory

In "Processor type and features":

-Processor family Choose the model of your processor.

In my config everything in general setup is already selected. Am I supposet to deselect everything but the above.

And...

For processor type, I'm not sure what to use. In my case it is running in VMWare. The processor type is listed as unknown in device manager. I'm not sure if I should just use 386 or the chose Pentium 4 (what the host is).

Anyone done this in vmware?

Page 12 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast