Thread: monitoring network traffic/events?

Beans

monitoring network traffic/events?

I have a question regarding the monitoring of incoming and outgoing internet events on my system.

I use Guarddog as my firewall and have for a long time, preferring it to Firestarter. This is just MY personal preference so I'm not interested in a drawn out debate on the merits of one firewall over another. I do though, like the way Firestarter reports in real time any unsolicited access attempts as well as which IPs and their clients are currently using any active open port/s.

Is there a program for Hardy which I can run which will provide a similar real time monitoring service like that currently provided in Firestarter? Something which doesn't take a degree in computer science to install, run and most importantly, one that provides a data set that's fairly easy to interpret.

I did find a program which appears to provide the kind of service I'm interested in but it's currently in a early alpha stage Watchdog http://www.simonzone.com/software/watchdog/. I'd prefer something more established, possibly some application that already tried and true and resting in the Ubuntu repositories?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: monitoring network traffic/events?

You might want to check out "Wireshark".
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans

Red face Re: monitoring network traffic/events?

Quote Originally Posted by lisati View Post
    You might want to check out "Wireshark".
    Thanks, I downloaded it from the repositories.
    So.... I don't suppose you now know where I can find a noob friendly tutorial to using this app?