Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "OpenSolaris - What Ubuntu wants to be when it grows up"

Beans

Re: "OpenSolaris - What Ubuntu wants to be when it grows up"

Quote Originally Posted by Vadi View Post
    I thought that view was ... odd to say at least. Sure, Ubuntu would like to become financially sustainable, but as for the rest? Not really, since Sun screwed up on open-source bad (they even admitted it recently).
    bien question here: If Ubuntu is not financially sustainable... how does it get to live? It hard for me to believe there is people working FOR FREE on this... I mean... there must be something on ubuntu that makes canonical get money...

Beans

It's not that the programs, environment, kernel you use are written by Canonical. They offer support. The coding work is generally done by others. For free. Think kernel, debian, gnome/kde, gnu developers etc.
    Q)Why did the multithreaded chicken cross the road?
    A)to To other side. get the
    Q)Why did the multithreaded chicken cross the road?
    A)other to side. To the get

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by tdrusk View Post
    Personally, after first looking at that it made me think that I was looking at a standard Gnome interface.

and indeed you are looking at a (standard - is there such a thing?) gnome desktop.

This is not the only solaris distro using gnome desktop. Have a look at nexenta - they even work to port ubuntu repo stuff across too. Kinda like ubuntu with a kernel translant, linux out solaris in.

I like opensolaris more than nexenta or other similar efforts.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by scouser73 View Post
    I meant the Gnome desktop, not Ubuntu, lol, sorry about that, anyway, I installed the live CD. It doesn't come with any office software, although it does have Evince PDF, it wouldn't connect to the internet - Not alot going for it. I think that's what OpenSolaris wants to be when it grows up, and by my estimation it's got a very long way to go.

Same thing applies here as with ubuntu or bsd etc... Different hardware, different results. opensolaris installed fine on my spare drive, and also from liveCD and VM. network works fine. You can install the latest openoffice 3.0 beta and it works well.

As a couple of others have indicated before me - I do think that opensolais does have a lot of growing to do to catch up with linux. Mainly in the area of community and building a huge range of community developed software. (The repo doesn't have so many packages available.) This is despite the good things it does have like dtrace and zfs

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by scouser73 View Post
    I like it they mention "Ubuntu like" system, so basically Its not what Ubuntu wants to be when it Grow Up RATHER its What OpenSolaris wants to be when it grows Up. The Editor loves UBUNTU so Much, He/She did in the word editor He/She was Using Ctr + F replaceAll OpenSolaris >> Ubuntu to see how good the article would sound and forgot to change the heading when He/She was Through

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

for one the package management is crap. There is an apt-get like feature, called pkg-get, but synaptic is much better. Its also rather slow, like running on a 5400rpm hdd. Running Ubuntu in comparison is like running on a SSD. And if you think Ubuntu has bad wireless support, don't even think about trying Solaris

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Trail View Post
    It's not that the programs, environment, kernel you use are written by Canonical. They offer support. The coding work is generally done by others. For free. Think kernel, debian, gnome/kde, gnu developers etc.
    I see... Those people must really love what de do... I wouldn't spend my free time doinga that

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cespinal View Post
    bien question here: If Ubuntu is not financially sustainable... how does it get to live? It hard for me to believe there is people working FOR FREE on this... I mean... there must be something on ubuntu that makes canonical get money...
    Mark Shuttleworth is funding Canonical, and they're not making much to be self-sustainable.

So, some people are getting paid for this, but no profits are being made at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

This is a professional writter for ZDNet? He comes off a bit crude and uninformed if you ask me.. here are some examples I saw...

Calling people names and then a nice little jab in the end to finsih them off! Oh I am sure the Ubuntu devs are so stinging at this right now. What, are we in the fifth grade here?

How I would have wrote it.... "The Ubuntu devs have taken a gamble to use the latest and sometimes unstable Firefox 3 Beta 5 in their latest release (Hardy Heron 8.04). Open Solaris installs with the high performance and stable 2.0.0.14"

Again a small jab here. Everyone has their own prefrences here as to what colors people like. You like blue? Fine change it. You like the tans/oranges/browns of Ubuntu. Great! Can we please be a professional writer?

How I would have wrote it....
    "The theme for Open Solaris is blue compared to Ubuntu's brown. Which is right for you? It is all a personal preference. Both systems allow theming to suit the users preferred color.

He/She discovers that they can indeed take screenshot from within the OS itself instead of doing it with a "$200 digital camera". But do they start again and present clean professional looking screenshots? Nope. (I am not a professional writer and journalist, so I CAN take jabs here and get away with it)

How I would have wrote it....
    Oh wait thats right! I would have started over form the beginning and gone back and redone all my screenshots!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why does it not come with Open Office? (Not really part of the unprofessionalism I was talking about here, but a valid point) Most people could use this and I am sure many do. Why not instal it y default like Ubuntu and open peoples eyes to an alternative that they might otherwise not know about.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12