Thread: nvidia-glx-new vs 173.14.09

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

nvidia-glx-new vs 173.14.09

Hi,
    I have a big question...

I've seen that nVidia has recently released the latest linux driver ver 173.14.09 with added support for GeForce 8400M GS included in my notebook.
    I currently have installed package nvidia-glx-new which includes driver 169.12 (that should not have support for my GPU) which worked fine so far.
    So, what is best:
    1) installing 173.14.09 driver from nvidia web site?
    2) keep nvidia-glx-new package from ubuntu?
    3) or wait (if ever) that ubuntu community upgrades the nvidia-glx-package to latest available driver?

Thanks and ciao.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 5.10

Re: nvidia-glx-new vs 173.14.09

hmm, i'm curious about this too - did you decide and notice any performance increase with the newer nvidia driver?
    My Blog.

Beans

I have a GeForce 8400M GS in my notebook as well. I seem to have a better performance with the latest driver (173.14.09). Everything now goes a lot smoother.
    Disclaimer: I am currently suffering from severe CSD (Compulsive Sarcasm Disorder).
    My Site | Linux User #452328 | Running Arch Linux on Sony Vaio VGN-SZ61XN/C since October 2008

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I noticed an improvement as well when I installed the new driver. If you use EnvyNG, it will grab the new driver for you when you run it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

The 8400M GS is supported just fine with the default Ubuntu drivers. I don't recommend moving away from the default Ubuntu drivers unless you have some real need to do so. If compiz performance is a bit sluggish, you may want to try this guide: HOWTO: Improve NVidia Laptop Graphics Performance
    Don't try to make something "fast" until you are able to quantify "slow".

Beans

It is true that I've switched to the latest driver because Compiz Fusion was sluggish. So you might want to try the above suggestion first if you're uncomfortable with installing the latest driver. Compiz Fusion aside, I did have a small but noticeable overall performance increase though.
    Disclaimer: I am currently suffering from severe CSD (Compulsive Sarcasm Disorder).
    My Site | Linux User #452328 | Running Arch Linux on Sony Vaio VGN-SZ61XN/C since October 2008

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lviggiani View Post
    Hi,
    I have a big question...

I've seen that nVidia has recently released the latest linux driver ver 173.14.09 with added support for GeForce 8400M GS included in my notebook.
    I currently have installed package nvidia-glx-new which includes driver 169.12 (that should not have support for my GPU) which worked fine so far.
    So, what is best:
    1) installing 173.14.09 driver from nvidia web site?
    2) keep nvidia-glx-new package from ubuntu?
    3) or wait (if ever) that ubuntu community upgrades the nvidia-glx-package to latest available driver?

Thanks and ciao.
    the best and easy way is install envyng
    sudo apt-get install envyng-gtk
    then
    envyng -t
    then press 1 to install nvidia driver

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

if you install the nvidia driver yourself, will you be notified when new updates are available?

..i'm thinking long term ease of use > brand new top notch drivers..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

If you want the drivers to be updated along with everything else on your system and have everything go smooth, just go with the standard ubuntu packages, rather than the bleeding edge drivers that you need to install manually with each kernel update. The ubuntu package versions tend to lag behind the latest-beta-bleeding-edge-hot-new nvidia driver, but it's as was previously mentioned, unless you know of a specific issue that you are having that the new version will fix, it's not worth upgrading. Just wait for the new version to trickle down to the ubuntu repos; it will come eventually, don't worry.
    Visit my blog! -> tuxrant.blogspot.com
    Help fix my bugs! Bug #251142 & Bug#255393.

.evets, Ubuntard #23275