Thread: Firefox 3.0 won't run

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Firefox 3.0 won't run

I recently upgraded to FF 3.0, first using the download from getfirefox.com. Later, it was updated by the Update Manager to full 3.0. After a while, it was updated again by the Update Manager, and suddenly stopped working.

So then I get panic.

I started trying to remove/install/remove/install. sometimes in different places, sometimes using the terminal, sometimes using the Synaptic Manager, sometimes using the Archive Manager. What I seem to have now is a mess of Firefoxes spread all over the HD, and no way to sort it out. Is there any way I can just wipe out all of the Firefoxes on the HD, and just start again? Of course, I'd like an easy way, but anyway will be OK with me. I just want FF back.

I'm posting this to the Mozillazine forums also in the hope I might find some help there, too.

Thanks,
    Neill
    "Character is what you are in the dark." - John Whorfin

Hardy Heron on a Dell Dimension Pentium 4

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Firefox 3.0 won't run

Hi there,
    The download from getfirefox.com, You would just have to delete the files from where you extracted. For the firefox from the repos, you can do apt-get remove --purge firefox and remove your .mozilla/firefox directory in your home folder... although, really, you only need to delete the profile directory in ~/.mozilla/firefox. Also, if you start firefox through a terminal, what errors do you get?

AJ
    Want to find out more about your ubuntu system? see HowTO Ubuntu System
    Want to know a little more about networking? see HOWTO Ubuntu Networking
    Looking for help with something on your ubuntu? see the tutorial of the week sticky