Thread: Audio only through Firefox/Flash

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Audio only through Firefox/Flash

(8.04) I have some mp3s and I have the xine codecs, and w32 codecs but cannot play music through Rhythmbox, Totem, XMMS, Mplayer, or Amarok. They all seem to get to 1 sec then halt. I tried running from terminal but no errors were thrown. I can listen to audio through Youtube without any problems.

Any ideas? I was thinking there may be a lock or something on the HW device but I don't know.

Thanks!

Code:
    william@wul:/var/www$ rhythmbox /home/william/Shared/Coldplay\ -\ Viva\ La\ Vida.mp3 
    william@wul:/var/www$
    Last edited by chandler; June 25th, 2008 at 10:31 PM.
    I like a girl named Rachel.

Beans

Re: Audio only through Firefox/Flash

If you can hear sound through flash and others, then I'm inclined to suggest it is not a hardware error.

I'm leaning toward codec or some other problem. Do basic .wav files play?

Beans

All xine codecs and all w32 codecs and then you go and install all totem codecs? They hate each other. On my computer they did anyway, so I removed everything called "totem" from my Xubuntu. I have no sound (I am using only ALSA on all my players) and picture issues any more. (hint: Also on Xubuntu 8.04 you can get xmms player like in older versions was... you just need to compile it yourself )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Yeah I can get sound to work through flash without a hitch. But when I do, I have to kill all firefox processes before it'll work through anything else. I guess this is a software problem then. Woops...
    I like a girl named Rachel.