Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Installation to ALIX 3c3 board

Re: Installation to ALIX 3c3 board

Ok, the paper clip thing worked, so its the VGA cable or monitor, but I will eventually need the system to run with out a monitor, which still means a kernel recompile.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

To get the source for your existing kernel you'd run
    Code:
    apt-get build-dep linux-image-$(uname -r)
    apt-get source linux-image-$(uname -r)
    then follow the tutorial from that point on (I must admit I couldn't personally get Ubuntu's kernel to build).

It does take you through how to change the configuration. You use
    Code:
    make menuconfig
    or
    Code:
    make xconfig
    to make any changes you want (xconfig is probably slightly easier to use).

Of course there are alternative tutorials out there such as this. There's slightly more faffing around setting up the config with that one though.
    Last edited by DefineByte; November 23rd, 2008 at 11:15 AM.

Ok, great, thanks so much, I will be trying this soon. I used Virtual Box on my Windows pc to install to a CF card successfully, very handy. I also inserted a very fine wire between pins 6 and 12 so that I would not have to disconnect the VGA cable during boot up, to stick a jumper in. This worked, but I still want to recompile the kernel. As soon as some on unplugs the VGA cable I'll have to replace or fix the wire. I noticed xubuntu uses very nearly 100% of the proc almost all the time, it was getting very noticably warm. I hadn't looked at the power usage, but I can do that later. I am guessing there is a way to strip down the system to use minimal CPU, but then again I was running the GUI. Thanks.

Josh.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Just thought I'd mention the presence of a beta BIOS on the PC Engines site which is supposed to fix the VGA boot problem.

I haven't tried it myself, so if anyone does I'd be interested in the results.

Beans

Has anybody exercised the video capability of these boards? Are they capable of higher resolutions (ie. 1280x720), or is 640x480 or 800x600 the practical limit?

Thanks.

Beans

OK, the last date of a post in this topic is a while back. Anyone manage to get debian or ubuntu on one of these ALIIX 3D3 boards? And if so, how?

thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Arrow Re: Installation to ALIX 3D3 board

Quote Originally Posted by nephish View Post
    OK, the last date of a post in this topic is a while back. Anyone manage to get debian or ubuntu on one of these ALIIX 3D3 boards? And if so, how?

thanks
    Yes, I've got Lenny (debian) to work with the 3D3, but only with a monitor attached. Otherwise it hangs after "Starting up..." and "Detecting EDD". As the PAPERCLIP approach seems too risky for me I am now trying to recompile the kernel. If it doesn't work I'll make a few phonecalls and see if someone knows how to trick the hardware into thinking that there is a monitor (I've heard that I'll need a 75 Omh resistor from the RGB pins to ground, but that sounds too much like "BRICK ALIX" and I'll try that as a last resort)
    I'll write if I find something. Oh, and I've installed the debian with the debootstrap program, it's in jaunty's repositories. I made a grub-install from a chroot-ed shell (keep in mind that you need to tell it to install the bootloader on /dev/sdb or /dev/sdc, else you'll blow up your own computer's boot)
    This might be helpful: http://debian-on-alix.blogspot.com/
    Linux user 467071
    Debian on alix 3d3

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Install this beta firmware and the hang should be fixed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Installation to ALIX 3d3 board

I've recompiled the kernel (2.6.29.4) and now everything works smooth.
    See my post here: http://blog.datamatrix-bg.net/?p=80 , there I have posted the .config file and also the generated .deb package.

Quote Originally Posted by DefineByte View Post
    Install this beta firmware and the hang should be fixed.
    About that - there are alix0.bin and alix2.bin in there, which one?

PS: As it's running just fine with the recompiled kernel I have no intention in patching the bios (If it works, don't fix it )
    Linux user 467071
    Debian on alix 3d3

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'd guess one was for the ALIX 1x and the other for the 3d3. You should'nt really have to worry about that though because sb.com will pick the right one for your board.

You would get HPET support too, so if you need that it might be worth it. Probably safer to do what you did though.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast