Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] no panels, no icons, no nuthin except background

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: no panels, no icons, no nuthin except background

Ok, I have tried everyones suggestions, and still no change, so am assuming I am going to have to do a fresh install. Thanks everyone for your attempts, if nothing else, I have learned alot of code LOL
    Never wade in water you're afraid to swim in unless it's the Linux pond, cause there's always a life ring in the forums

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gettinoriginal View Post
    Ok, I have tried everyones suggestions, and still no change, so am assuming I am going to have to do a fresh install. Thanks everyone for your attempts, if nothing else, I have learned alot of code LOL
    You couldn't install Xfce though either apt-get or aptitude? Something must be seriously wrong with your system then.

Beans
    Distro

Sorry, I was responding with the fresh install reply when you posted that, I am going to try your advice. Thanks
    Never wade in water you're afraid to swim in unless it's the Linux pond, cause there's always a life ring in the forums

Beans

- Boot up.
    - Ctrl Alt F1 at login screen.
    - Login in text mode.
    - sudo apt-get install xfce4

Once you restart, you should be able to choose an Xfce4 session from the session chooser on the login screen.

Beans
    Distro

Ok, I did that, but still no panels or icons, just background. But now I get an error message that nautilus cannot launch due to bonobo-activation-server problem.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gettinoriginal View Post
    Ok, I did that, but still no panels or icons, just background. But now I get an error message that nautilus cannot launch due to bonobo-activation-server problem.
    You need to change your session to xfce in the login screen
    Hmmm...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

hit <ctrl>+<alt>+F1 at the login screen, sign in to that virtual terminal and do:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall libbonobo2-bin
    seems the problem is to do with the package, so try re-installing it.

Beans

Natilus shouldn't be trying to launch. You're supposed to choose an Xfce-session; not a Gnome-session.

Once you've got a working desktop environment other than gnome, you can then go about comfortably investigating why gnome isn't working.

Beans
    Distro

Thank you all so much for the help, I now have a working desktop in ubuntu, now if I can only figure out why gnome will not work, cause I sure can't figure out how to set up this xfce thing,

Beans

You'll probably find Xfce easier to learn than Gnome. Until you open up synaptic and install a bunch of extra packackages for Xfce (mcs-plugins-extra, xfce4-goodies, etc), onyl expect basic functionality, though.

With regards to Gnome, have you created a second user account yet and tried to log into a fresh Gnome desktop? And have you reinstalled all your bonobo components yet?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast