Thread: fglrx 8.6

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Arrow fglrx 8.6

Ok, I tried latest fglrx (at this time 8.6) and I just wanted to point out one usefull info to get rid of libgl not found (only tested for latest kernel and AMD64):

A. creating the packages (and theoretical installing them):
    Code:
    sh ./ati....sh --buildandinstallpkg
    B. In case you got no red [fail] messages, you're done.
    In case B you did get an error about missing libGL.so.1 do:
    Code:
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2 /usr/lib/libGL.so.1
    Now run the package installation again
    Code:
    cd /where/the\ installer/is
    Code:
     sudo dpkg -i xorg-driver-fglrx_8.501-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb fglrx-kernel-source_8.501-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb fglrx-amdcccle_8.501-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb
    Note: if you get any nasty errors about duplicate fglrx.ko, I simply purged the fglrxdriver directory and started the whole process over again.
    Note: This may harm your system, but it worked fine for me. Do it at your won risk:
    Code:
    sudo -rm -Rvf /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/*
    ... put your money where your mouth is ...
    stop sustaining Microsoft (and its pet named Apple)!
    Use the Thanks-button if you feel like!

Beans

Re: fglrx 8.6

Thanks for posting this. However I get an error with kernel 2.6.26-2-generic while trying to compile the kernel module:
    Code:
    patching 'highmem.h'...
    assuming new VMA API since we do have kernel 2.6.x...
    def_vma_api_version=-DFGL_LINUX253P1_VMA_API
     Assuming default VMAP API
     Assuming default munmap API
    doing Makefile based build for kernel 2.6.x and higher
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.26-2-generic/build SUBDIRS=/var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.501/bu
    ild/2.6.x modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.26-2-generic'
      CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.501/build/2.6.x/firegl_public.o
    /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.501/build/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function ‘__ke_printk’:
    /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.501/build/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:1980: warning: format not a string literal and no format arguments
    /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.501/build/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function ‘__ke_get_ke_pte’:
    /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.501/build/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:2610: error: ‘NOPAGE_SIGBUS’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.501/build/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:2610: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
    /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.501/build/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:2610: error: for each function it appears in.)
    /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.501/build/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function ‘__ke_get_vm_phys_addr’:
    /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.501/build/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:2638: error: ‘NOPAGE_SIGBUS’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.501/build/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function ‘__ke_get_vm_page_table’:
    /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.501/build/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:2660: error: ‘NOPAGE_SIGBUS’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.501/build/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function ‘KCL_TestAndClearPageDirtyFlag’:
    /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.501/build/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:2788: error: ‘NOPAGE_SIGBUS’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.501/build/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: At top level:
    /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.501/build/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:3833: error: unknown field ‘nopage’ specified in initializer
    /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.501/build/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:3833: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
    /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.501/build/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:3851: error: unknown field ‘nopage’ specified in initializer
    /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.501/build/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:3851: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
    /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.501/build/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:3858: error: unknown field ‘nopage’ specified in initializer
    /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.501/build/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:3858: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
    /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.501/build/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:3865: error: unknown field ‘nopage’ specified in initializer
    /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.501/build/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:3865: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
    /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.501/build/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:3872: error: unknown field ‘nopage’ specified in initializer
    /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.501/build/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:3872: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
    /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.501/build/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:3879: error: unknown field ‘nopage’ specified in initializer
    /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.501/build/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:3879: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
    /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.501/build/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:3886: error: unknown field ‘nopage’ specified in initializer
    /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.501/build/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:3886: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
    /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.501/build/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:3895: error: unknown field ‘nopage’ specified in initializer
    /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.501/build/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:3895: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
    make[2]: *** [/var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.501/build/2.6.x/firegl_public.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [_module_/var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.501/build/2.6.x] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.26-2-generic'
    make: *** [kmod_build] Error 2
    build failed with return value 2
    Any ideas? Thanks.

-James

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

2.6.26? it won't compile without dirty hacks (I don't know how to fix it). The kernel is just to new. fedora 9 kernel isn't supported aswell, yet.
    Edit:9 (sulphur) not 8
    Last edited by soxs; July 5th, 2008 at 11:50 AM.

Beans

Just in case someone else finds this thread. I got this working using this:

http://phoronix.com/forums/archive/i...p/t-11049.html

Gary

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I got around that this was allready known before I actually posted *g*
    http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php?tit...allation_Guide

Beans

I'm also having trouble with fglrx&2.6.26 - I get that undeclared NOPAGE_SIGBUS problem with the 8.6 ati driver. Is it really an issue with the kernel or fglrx?
    Usually when I get a build error (and then Google it), I can never be sure that maybe I'm only finding other people with the same missing headers.. or something similar.
    Don't read everything you believe.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by mzembe View Post
    I'm also having trouble with fglrx&2.6.26 - I get that undeclared NOPAGE_SIGBUS problem with the 8.6 ati driver. Is it really an issue with the kernel or fglrx?
    Usually when I get a build error (and then Google it), I can never be sure that maybe I'm only finding other people with the same missing headers.. or something similar.
    It's caused by the fact that fglrx is closed source.
    You will have to wait for 8.7 or google some more, I can't help you there (Though it shouldn't take that long anymore untill 8.7 gets released...).

Beans

There is now an 8.7 ati driver, but it doesn't help... and they have the rt patches out for 2.6.26 also.
    I've managed to get a 2.6.26-rt1 kernel working with the 8.6 driver, and I still have everything bookmarked/freshly remembered - so here goes:
    I had to stick with the initial 2.6.26 release and the rt patch (for those interested, but it complicates things). I configured the kernel like is outlined in this Gentoo howto, paying special attention to the editing of /usr/src/linux/kernel/rcupreempt.c there near the bottom (only necessary for the rt variants).
    The patch I used for the ati installer is here- to install the patch I stopped X with the
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
    (gdm=kdm for kde users) and began the installation ala ./ati-driver-installer-8-7-x86.x86_64.run which unpacks everything to a temporary directory. Just switch to another console and change into that temporary directory while the installer is waiting for input on the other console and create a symbolic link to the 'install' directory called 'fglrx-installer-8.501'
    Code:
    >..../fglrx-install.randomsequence# ln -s install fglrx-installer-8.501
    before patching then
    Code:
    cat location/02_2.6.26_support.patch|patch -p0
    to fix the firegl_public.c. Switch back to the waiting installer and hit 'enter' until is says you're done. One important detail - make sure you turn on Kernel Hacking -> Enable unused/obsolete exported symbols (UNUSED_SYMBOLS) or it will fail.
    Last edited by mzembe; August 7th, 2008 at 03:09 PM.
    Don't read everything you believe.