Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yet another compiz/xinerama/xrandr question ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Yet another compiz/xinerama/xrandr question ...

To the best of my knowledge, there's still no progress on this.

It's pretty much my biggest frustration with ubuntu at the moment. (linux in general, really, i know it's not ubuntu's fault)

When you compare linux multiple monitor support, via X11, to Windows and OSX, it's simply abysmal.

I keep thinking that fixes in this area must be just around the corner, but I'm yet to see anything substantial.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by un_dave View Post
    When you compare linux multiple monitor support, via X11, to Windows and OSX, it's simply abysmal.
    i think it should be noted that the issue is multiple GPU support, not multiple monitor.

that being said, it is my biggest gripe also. i've decided to just buy a Matrox DualHead2Go and be done with it. i want my compositing.

Beans

Red face Re: Yet another compiz/xinerama/xrandr question ...

Yes! Please! I am a Linux Newbie and I love it already! I installed it on Sunday Apr 5th and I have been killing myself trying to get my dual screen working. The worst of it is the fact that I can't rotate my second screen for portrait when XRandR is disabled. Since my studio has the monitors mounted to the wall, I really don't feel like taking the concrete screws out to rotate it. PLEASE HELP... I don't want to go back to the big M.

Beans
    Distro

Has anyone been willing to try the beta yet to see if our problem is fixed in 9.04?

Beans

Well I seem to be having the same problems as everyone else.
    3 24" LCD's and two Nvidia 9400GT's
    I can twinview two monitors or just simply run Xinerama.
    I get GLX support under Xinerama but no Compositing (which means no compiz)

This is under Xorg 7.4 Ubuntu 9.04 compiz 0.8.2 (latest nVidia at time of writing).

Hopefully 7.5 of Xorg or the next release of Compiz will fix this.
    There should not be a limitation here - if I can run a GLX application under Xinerama and drag it or expand it across multiple monitors (running rather well at that) there should be no reason why compositing and or compiz should not work.

Beans

I third this notion.

Running 3 monitors on two graphics cards -- wishing i had the ability to enable some compiz effects while running Xinerama.

Beans
    Distro

Could someone confirm that this is still in the limitation of 10.04 ?

I'd be a little concerned if they still haven't addressed this. All reports I was getting when I first posted was that this fix was 'coming soon'...

It's now almost 2 years later, and I've shifted largely to Win7 and OSX for my main systems, so I'm unable to check this out my self.

My only remaining Ubuntu system is a VM server, works well, but I rarely access it via anything other than SSH.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yes, I can confirm that it's still an issue in 10.04.

Per the chat log here, from "ajax" (the guy who wrote this) there are several underlying issues, all of which I'd love to see addressed and/or help address... but I can't seem to get past the "what do I do first, and how?" phase.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by svtdragon View Post
    Yes, I can confirm that it's still an issue in 10.04.

Per the chat log here, from "ajax" (the guy who wrote this) there are several underlying issues, all of which I'd love to see addressed and/or help address... but I can't seem to get past the "what do I do first, and how?" phase.
    I can confirm it is still an issue. Luckily, Kwin doesn't require compiz, but that means you'll have to switch to KDE, which I have no problem doing, but some might.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12