Thread: help connect to my vsftp server

Hybrid View

Beans

help connect to my vsftp server

I am able to connect to it from the same machine using localhost. But if i try to connect from my XP computer, i cant. My XP computer is wirelessly connected to the router that is connected to my modem. My server is connected to another router which is set up as a wireless bridge, and the firewall is turned off on the wireless bridge. Is there any other configuation that i need to do to the routers? I followed tha instructions on the Ubuntu help documentation: https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/serverg...tp-server.html.

**Edit: And i want to eventually be able to connect to it from outside my network, is there anything else i need to configure to do that?

Beans

Re: help connect to my vsftp server

Any one have any ideas what i could try?

Beans

Have you forwarded port 22 to your server? If not, you have to configure you router to do so.

Actually I dont know what port's needed for vsftp; i dont even know what it is. But for fpt it should be 21 and 22 for sftp.

Edit:
    Oh ok youre using vsftp, now i get it. Yup, you need to forward port 22.
    Last edited by weryl; June 25th, 2008 at 06:04 PM.
    Mike

Beans

In my router which is connected to the modem, i have it fowarded for all ftp, i should probably change it for my wireless bridge too, right? Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Try connecting from the same machine but use the IP address and not "localhost". Is it that connections are only allowed from localhost?

Beans

I will try that and the port fowarding later when i get out of work, thanks for you input.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

if you have dsl you may haveto set the modem to PPPoE, due to a built in firewall, i had to do this to my dsl modem it takes a bit to understand set the router with the isp log in crudentials, and the modem is just the box... this may be a fix...
    Sever (Ubuntu Server 8.4)>>Intel Core 2 Duo Quad Q6600 (2.4ghz) DG31PR (MB) 1gb ram, 490gb 3xhdd<< Home User (WinXPH/UbuntuDT 8.4)>>p4 3.0ghz, intel perl, 2.5 gbram, 240gb 2xhd<<

Beans

I tried to connect to the FTP server from the same computer, not using the localhost ip, that worked.

I set up port fowarding in both my routers. The router connected to the modem fowards to the bridge router, which then fowards it to my computer, that didnt work. I tried it where the first router fowarded it to my comp, but that didnt work either.

I do have DSL, but have not yet tried to configure the modem as mentioned above. But i dont see how i should have to if the connection is coming from the same network. But i will try that later.

Are there any other ideas?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chuck jessup View Post
    if you have dsl you may haveto set the modem to PPPoE, due to a built in firewall, i had to do this to my dsl modem it takes a bit to understand set the router with the isp log in crudentials, and the modem is just the box... this may be a fix...
    Im not sure what you mean by this, do you think you could explain it in a little more depth.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Oh and one other thing try hooking the computer up wired, the wireless may have a fit with heavy bandwith. wired connections tend to be the best for data transfers.

Jesse Fender
    ----------------------------------------
    Sever (Ubuntu Server 8.4)>>Intel Core 2 Duo Quad Q6600 (2.4ghz) DG31PR (MB) 1gb ram, 490gb 3xhdd<< Home User (WinXPH/UbuntuDT 8.4)>>p4 3.0ghz, intel perl, 2.5 gbram, 240gb 2xhd<<