Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: CoreAVC for Linux installation guide

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Lightbulb HOWTO: CoreAVC for Linux installation guide

This guide is being created to help others get CoreAVC working on their ubuntu installations. I will update this as feedback is left and welcome others to post any helpful information on the minor issues I am experiencing.

For this guide i Used CoreAVC 1.7.

Installation:
    Grab the CoreAVC installer and install wine from the add/remove in the applications list.
    once wine is installed, run the coreavc_professional_edition-setup.exe file and use all defaults. This will also install Halii media splitter which I have not used/tested. once complete ensure that you have your slocate database up to snuff by running 'updatedb' you will need this to find the codec file you need later.

next, you will want to follow this guide to install coreavc-for-linux
    when you get to step 2, use process 3 to obtain the binaries (precompiled for x64) if this is your architecture. otherwise process 1 should work ok for you. When you get to step 3 you will need to do the following 'locate CoreAVCDecoder.ax' and then copy it to /usr/lib/win32/ (create if it doesn't exist). When you get to the registration process it says to create the registry entries under registry32 for dshowserver with mythtv and use registry for mplayer or xine, i needed to add the entries to both or i received an error from step 5 of the first guide.

once you have gotten acceptable output from dshowserver, move on to getting mplayer to work properly. I was able to find a guide that used the apt-build process to patch mplayer directly to use the CoreAVC codec, but i ditched that since dshowserver is their recommended method. The easiest way I could find to complete this part was to follow this guide with a slight modification. Once you have checked out the source from SVN, run a ./configure as needed (running this with no switches will create a /usr/local/bin instance of mplayer which is separate from the apt installed version in /usr/bin) then patch the source using the instructions found here.

once complete you can foce the use of coravc for devoce by adding -vc coreserve to your mplayer command.

NOTES:
    In order to get playback to be smooth I needed to run mplayer with nice -n 0 and the -fs switch to run it full screen. If it is running in a window it gives jerky playback

Issues:
    After installation, I have found that playback is only possible using the CLI version of mplayer, gmplayer dies with an error about the -vo method. forcing this to xv or x11 do not have an effect. This may be compiz related but i have not tested it yet.

Audo sync, I have also noticed that using a terminal window to launch mplayer causes the audio to be out of sync on occasion, relaunching normally fixes this. Right clicking a file and telling it to open with a custom command however, has never exhibited this problem. This issue may be due to bandwidth, i was able to get smoother playback and seemed to have less issues with local files.

TS files. I have been unsuccessful at playing back TS file with coreavc so far. I only have one to test however. I get the same error that GMplayer throws about a -vo mode not matching the given codec etc.

Please leave feedback so this guide can be made into a complete solution that works across the board. Once the issues above have been solved i will add steps to replace the existing mplayer binaries with scripts that will call the new mplayer with the needed switches etc.
    Last edited by bruor; June 26th, 2008 at 10:50 AM.

Beans

Re: HOWTO: CoreAVC for Linux installation guide

I don't know if this is a bug or not, but i put in an invalid key and i was unable to register it with a new one (showed dshowserverinstall missing serial)..did a fresh install and put in the key and was able to get dshowserver working

ALso: you wrote system and system32 should be registry and registry32
    Last edited by xxtommoxx; June 25th, 2008 at 11:59 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

thanks, i have changed those entries so they are now correct. Did you have to delete the registry files and recreate them? I assume that's what you mean by a fresh install.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Thank you! great how-to. One thing to note, I had an issue with the codecs.conf file in ~/.mplayer. It was complaining about it being too old and not loading it and thus not letting you use the coreserve codec. To fix this open codecs.conf and change the line that reads "release SOMEDATE" to the current date in YYYYMMDD format.

I also noticed that when the dshowserver is loading from mplayer it mentions that the postprocessing is set to the codec's max of 4 regardless of what I pass though with the -pp option. I almost can get smooth playback with coreavc at 1080p, but I fell if I could drop the pp down I would get it. Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

you could try tweaking the settings for the codec via the registry settings. there is a section under the dshowserver guide on the coreavc-for-linux site that mentions different options you can set to affect the codec. I am not sure how well they work as i have not had to try them, If its any help, i did get slightly better playback performance form local disk rather than over my 100mbit network conneciton, i have yet to try gigabit to see if it has any impact. i am also going to play around with cache settings as i have noticed jerky playback at first, but rewinding the scene results in smooth playback. this does not happen when reading the file from local disk so i assume it is definitely a bandwidth related issue.

ATM i am working to try to resolve tearing issues i am experiencing. I have it pretty much resolved with 1080p playback, but viewing low res xvid files gives me ugly output. i need to do more testing as this could be source related rather than the output of my video card. if i stumble across any 780g chipset specific info i will append a hardware spec to the guide as well as any notes for my platform/drivers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Question Re: HOWTO: CoreAVC for Linux installation guide

Quote Originally Posted by bruor View Post
    When you get to the registration process it says to create the registry entries under registry32 for dshowserver with mythtv and use registry for mplayer or xine, i needed to add the entries to both or i received an error from step 5 of the first guide.
    Can you please be more specific as what commands you actually used to get this done as i am getting an error once i get to point 5 and do not understand what i need to do to add the other "entries for both" ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

In the registration guide for dshowserver it says:

option 1: If you are using dshowserver (for mythtv) do:
    export REGISTRY=$HOME/.mplayer/registry32

option 2: If you are using mplayer or xine do:
    export REGISTRY=$HOME/.mplayer/registry

then do this: (for coreavc v1.7)
    registercodec -r $REGISTRY -k
    "HKLM\\Software\\CoreCodec\\CoreAVC Pro\\Serial" -v "55555-55555-CORE-55555-55555"

I had to do option 1, followed by the registercodec bit, then do option 2 as well.
    It looks like they have updated their guide slightly and it is now correct. i would suggest setting registration information in both registry locations just to be safe.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by bruor View Post
    In the registration guide for dshowserver it says:

option 1: If you are using dshowserver (for mythtv) do:
    export REGISTRY=$HOME/.mplayer/registry32

option 2: If you are using mplayer or xine do:
    export REGISTRY=$HOME/.mplayer/registry

then do this: (for coreavc v1.7)
    registercodec -r $REGISTRY -k
    "HKLM\\Software\\CoreCodec\\CoreAVC Pro\\Serial" -v "55555-55555-CORE-55555-55555"

I had to do option 1, followed by the registercodec bit, then do option 2 as well.
    It looks like they have updated their guide slightly and it is now correct. i would suggest setting registration information in both registry locations just to be safe.
    i have followed the guide exactly and cannot get it to work
    when i run "dshowserver -c CoreAVCDecoder.ax -s 1280x720 -g 09571a4b-f1fe-4c60-9760de6d310c7c31 -b 12 -f 0x34363248 -o 0x30323449" all i get is:

shm:/dshow_shm.(null)
    sem1:/dshow_sem1.(null)
    sem2:/dshow_sem2.(null)
    Opening device
    Segmentation fault

--

What could this possibly be?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

have you verified that CoreAVCDecoder.ax is in /usr/lib/win32 ?
    also try a chmod -R 777 /usr/lib/win32
    this should ensure that there are no file permission issues.

Beans

Any progress on this btw, do people have things working??
    And is it what it promises to be, smoother h264 playback?

I followed all instructions, got mplayer to compile, but when I try to play with -vc coreserve I get:
    Cannot find codec matching selected -vo and video format 0x31637661.
    It's a mkv file, lord of the rings part 1.
    Last edited by Jean__; July 18th, 2008 at 04:44 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast