Thread: Update notification balloon placement

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Update notification balloon placement

I tend to fiddle with the way my menus and icons are arranged, from moving things around to deleting them. Unfortunately I made a mistake by removing the up-date notifier icon from the top launch bar.
    Now whenever The balloon comes up to tell me I have to update, it appears at the top-left of the screen, claiming I need to click the icon/button/launcher it's pointing to to update. Of course it's only pointing to the Ubuntu symbol on the applications menu, which as you'd expect only opens the menu.
    Since then I've had to go to It manually via the System-->Admin menu. I've searched the "add to panel" list several times for anything update-related to no avail.
    Currently my top gnome panel has the three default menus, a Firefox launcher, a dictionary-lookup, the all-in-one desk-bar search applet, volume control, the time and date and finally the shut-down splash launcher.
    I'd appreciate any help towards restoring the update-icon.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Note: I always use the latest Ubuntu distro (x86 64) after official release. If to the right of my posts I'm listed as using an old version, I've simply just forgotten to change the forum setting.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Update notification balloon placement

It sounds like you are missing the notification area. Right click on the panel and select Add to Panel. Then add a new Notification Area applet.
    Don't try to make something "fast" until you are able to quantify "slow".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Update notification balloon placement

Quote Originally Posted by vor View Post
    It sounds like you are missing the notification area. Right click on the panel and select Add to Panel. Then add a new Notification Area applet.
    Thankyou!
    Note: I always use the latest Ubuntu distro (x86 64) after official release. If to the right of my posts I'm listed as using an old version, I've simply just forgotten to change the forum setting.