Thread: failed to start xserver

Beans

failed to start xserver

I just recently installed some updates to 7.04. I'm getting a fatal error that says:

FATAL: Could not open '/lib/modules/2.6.20-17-generic/volatile/nvidia.ko' : No such file or directory
    (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to laod the NVIDIA kernel module!
    (EE) NVIDIA)(0): ***Aborting***
    (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration

Fatal server error:
    no screens found

Can anyone help me fix this? Thanks in advance!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: failed to start xserver

Same situation here after installing new kernel 2.6.22-15-generic over the weekend, Other than the kernel rev error message is identical. Running Kubuntu 7.10 though with nVidia FX5500. Rebooting to previous kernel 2.6.22-14 everything starts right up no problem. No solution as of yet.
    Last edited by jasapper; June 24th, 2008 at 05:56 AM. Reason: clarification

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

You need to recompile the nvidia kernel module for the new kernel. There should have been a corresponding nvidia upgrade on synaptic. If not, just download and run the nvidia unified installer from their website. It will install the new kernel module. The link is: http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by anindya_m View Post
    You need to recompile the nvidia kernel module for the new kernel. There should have been a corresponding nvidia upgrade on synaptic. If not, just download and run the nvidia unified installer from their website. It will install the new kernel module. The link is: http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html
    I can't believe I had not run across the issue before now, or at least seen references while perusing the forums. I took another look right after posting and whaddya know there it was, a HOWTO no less! Just booted the new kernel in recovery reinstalled the driver. Also went ahead and setup the script to do this automatically in the future. As always I am better for the experience.