Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 6month & reinstall - do u worry?

Beans

Question 6month & reinstall - do u worry?

as a newbie not used to reinstalling everything time and again, everytime i boot into ubuntu, i feel like nothing is gonna stay intact whatever i do because there will be a new version in 6 months and i will end up doing a clean install (bc. dist-upgrade breaks ubuntu). i did not have this problem w/ other distros bc. i never imagined my self using them 2 years from now...

do u have this worry as well???? how do u cope w/ it???

thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: 6month & reinstall - do u worry?

My /home directory is on a different partition. So if I have to re-install Ubuntu (or even change distro for a while) its only a matter of ticking a load of boxes in Synaptic to get back to normal.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Dist upgrade breaks systems, since when? i went from Hoary -> Breezy and now from Breezy -> Dapper*In Development* using dist-upgrade

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DoeRayMe
    Dist upgrade breaks systems, since when? i went from Hoary -> Breezy and now from Breezy -> Dapper*In Development* using dist-upgrade
    then let me correct:

as a newbie not used to reinstalling everything time and again, everytime i boot into ubuntu, i feel like nothing is gonna stay intact whatever i do because there will be a new version in as a newbie not used to reinstalling everything time and again, everytime i boot into ubuntu, i feel like nothing is gonna stay intact whatever i do because there will be a new version in 6 months and i will end up doing a clean install (bc. dist-upgrade breaks ubuntu). i did not have this problem w/ other distros bc. i never imagined my self using them 2 years from now...

do u have this worry as well???? how do u cope w/ it??? especially remembering and re-downloading your favorite packages?

thanks.

PS. no trolling, this is curiosity.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Breezy dist-upgrade broke mine, and I had to do a clean reinstall. It doesn't happen for everyone, but it does happen occasionally--let's just say it's not a rare occurrence, even if it's not standard.

My plan, since Breezy was my first dist-upgrade, is to wait until Dapper is stable (maybe a month or two after it comes out), then upgrade to that then, rather than upgrading on release day or even before the official release day (as I did with Breezy).

Beans
    Hidden!

I sometimes dont like the 6 month release cycle. Going from Hoary to Breezy fixed some hardware issues so I was happy. Unless Dapper is a big change Im unsure if Ill upgrade.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I guess the thing i you dont have to upgrade, if you are happy with your system, stick with it.

I keep my my music, photos and ocuments on a seperate hard drive, so I hopefully will never loose them. You could always install the newest distro nest to your current and run them both in parellell unstil you are happy with your new install.

Or just dist-upgrade, it worked for me a bunch of times. Didnt try it this time though.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Releases get supported (i.e., security updates) for 18 months after release. There's no need to upgrade every six months if it's too much trouble.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by towsonu2003
    as a newbie not used to reinstalling everything time and again, everytime i boot into ubuntu, i feel like nothing is gonna stay intact whatever i do because there will be a new version in 6 months and i will end up doing a clean install (bc. dist-upgrade breaks ubuntu). i did not have this problem w/ other distros bc. i never imagined my self using them 2 years from now...

do u have this worry as well???? how do u cope w/ it???

thanks.
    WOW I wonder what distro you use? I think most Linux distros do the same, at least there is a major upgrade within six months, but I think that has to do with the fact that GNOME upgrades itself every six months too (I know SUSE upgrades every 6-9 months).

At any rate, who says you have to upgrade? If you like Hoary, stick with it for as long as you like. Ubuntu changes are based on major changes in GNOME and other essential programs.

I also wonder why you have to reinstall everything and loose what you have. I did a upgrade from Hoary to Breezy with no problems what so ever, and my settings, documents and vital info all stayed the same. Maybe it was too early to do the upgrade and programs weren't complete.

Let's face it, you could use windoze and have to buy a new OS every two years or so and not know if what you are using is safe, wait 6 months and have them come out with a security patch that might fix half the problems.

Too bad you feel this way, cause I think that Ubuntu is great and will continue to stick with it and all the releases as I see fit. If Breezy is the best for me, then I will continue to use Breezy, if not then I know a secure distro is out there that I can upgrade to.

-SD-

Beans

Cool Re: 6month & reinstall - do u worry?

Quote Originally Posted by Strangerdave
    Too bad you feel this way, cause I think that Ubuntu is great and will continue to stick with it and all the releases as I see fit.
    -SD-
    sorry that this got you angry. as i said, i am not trolling... this is curiousity.

WOW I wonder what distro you use? I think most Linux distros do the same
    -SD-
    as I said, I never used a distro imagining that I was gonna stick with it for a long time (like, 1 year...). This is a first for me, so i wanna know what others do/feel/want/perceive.
    As for the distros, I used opensuse (3 weeks), fedora (1 week), centros (2 days), knoppix (a couple of hours), slackware (2 months -very good one-), turkix (1 day), simplyMepis (2 days). So i never had to think about upgrading

At any rate, who says you have to upgrade? If you like Hoary, stick with it for as long as you like.
    agreed. so would you upgrade hoary after 20 months as you won't have support for it? as aysiu notes:

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu
    Releases get supported (i.e., security updates) for 18 months after release. There's no need to upgrade every six months if it's too much trouble.
    which clears things for me. as an ex-windows user, my mind is: if something is updated, grab it while you can

Quote Originally Posted by idn
    I keep my my music, photos and ocuments on a seperate hard drive, so I hopefully will never loose them. You could always install the newest distro nest to your current and run them both in parellell unstil you are happy with your new install.
    and

Quote Originally Posted by welsh_spud
    My /home directory is on a different partition. So if I have to re-install Ubuntu (or even change distro for a while) its only a matter of ticking a load of boxes in Synaptic to get back to normal.
    that's what i do as well so it seems i'm not missing anything.

As a footnote, you have to understand the paranoia and the fear you experience when you know you have to format stuff periodically

thanks for the replies, i appreciate it. other distros usually kick you hard for such newbie questions... (which makes me think...: I should have posted this in "Absolute Beginner" forum - my bad - sorry)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast