Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cross compiling for mac os x on linux

Beans

Cross compiling for mac os x on ubuntu

Hi,
    I have a c program I'd like to compile for mac os x. Sadly I don't have a mac, but a mac user have told me that my program compiles without a problem on his mac.

I've been cross compiling for windows using mingw, but there seems to be no such package for mac os x as well, and nothing I've found on the web was very helpful thus far.

Can anyone here guide me to an easy to follow tutorial/howto?
    Last edited by publicv; June 23rd, 2008 at 05:49 PM.

Beans

Re: Cross compiling for mac os x on linux

In case anyone else comes across the same problem, a possible solution is available here:

http://www.sandroid.org/imcross/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Wink Re: Cross compiling for mac os x on linux

Quote Originally Posted by publicv View Post
    In case anyone else comes across the same problem, a possible solution is available here:

http://www.sandroid.org/imcross/

wow, excellent. /thanked
    In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?
    Linux is like a wigwam.... no Gates, no Windows but Apache inside!
    http://www.debianadmin.com
    apt-get install libstdc++6-4.3-doc

Beans

It's actually not that great at all, it's quite cumbersome.

Additionally, there is no way to actually test it without a mac since there is nothing equivalent to wine for mac os x, and surprisingly enough my fairly portable c program was actually performing differently on a mac than on linux.

I have decided to simply forgo mac support and only provide builds for linux&windows.

It really seems almost as if Apple is actively trying to dissuade people from porting software to mac os x.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Too bad that vmware images of Mac OS X which are available on the web are not legal.
    iplist

"Specialization is for Insects", R. Heinlein

Beans

(...)

I have decided to simply forgo mac support and only provide builds for linux&windows.

It really seems almost as if Apple is actively trying to dissuade people from porting software to mac os x.
    it's quite understandable there is no wine equivalent for Mac OS (what are you going to run? GarageBand?).
    The best choices are
    a) use platform-independent languages
    b) ensure your software runs perfectly on Wine, without needing additional DLLs
    c) this:
    Quote Originally Posted by uljanow View Post
    Too bad that vmware images of Mac OS X which are available on the web are not legal.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Wink Re: Cross compiling for mac os x on linux

It's actually not that great at all, it's quite cumbersome.

Additionally, there is no way to actually test it without a mac since there is nothing equivalent to wine for mac os x, and surprisingly enough my fairly portable c program was actually performing differently on a mac than on linux.

Well, they are not trying to dissuade you from porting software to the Mac, they are simply trying to force you to buy a Mac and pay double the amount of money which you would compared to buying a Dell PC/Notebook at the same performance level.

But YES, their policy has exactly this effect, and it's at the same time the reason why Apple failed in the past, and it also is the reason why Apple will fail in the future.

However, there is OSx86, which is a hack for MacOS X to run on Intel PCs.
    That project has a legality as well as a network and graphics card driver problem, but else, it's the solution to your problem. If you do it to develop & test Software, I for my part call this 'fair use'.

Also, starting on Leopard, programs developped for Apple undergo a CODESIGNING process...
    In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?
    Linux is like a wigwam.... no Gates, no Windows but Apache inside!
    http://www.debianadmin.com
    apt-get install libstdc++6-4.3-doc

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by WitchCraft View Post
    Well, they are not trying to dissuade you from porting software to the Mac, they are simply trying to force you to buy a Mac and pay double the amount of money which you would compared to buying a Dell PC/Notebook at the same performance level.
    The shame is that the competitors notebooks are inferior hardware wise, they do not deliver. Consider the battery time and display, along with the weigth and material. They do not get you that, Apple does however.
    Software wise: If you buy a Mac, you get OS upgrades for the 3 first years along with quite the amount of decent software on in the package.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by WitchCraft View Post
    Are you from the past? Today you can pick up a 13" Macbook Pro for $1199, sure there are cheaper 13" laptops, but show me one with a glass multi-touch pad, sensor-driven illuminated keyboard, alluminum unibody enclosure, and OSX (or Windows even) for a lower price. There are always going to be cheaper laptops, cars, and homes, but is the cheapest always the best? edit: (Don't forget the 7 hour battery life)

Also, starting on Leopard, programs developped for Apple undergo a CODESIGNING process...
    Starting with Leopard, all of APPLE'S software (GarageBand, iTunes, etc) are signed. Codesigning of third party software is OPTIONAL and at the discretion of the developer.

---
    To the OP: I develop for the mac (and unix in general) exclusively, if you need someone to compile a build, or help maintain a mac build, I wouldn't mind helping your project.

Beans

At the expense of breaking up this Mac vs. Anti-Mac argument, if your application compiles for the Mac and Mac users really want to use it, you should bring someone on board who has a Mac to build/maintain packages for your software for Macs.

Or at the very least ask the guy who compiled it to submit the binary so that something can be available.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast