Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Samsung Instinct

Beans

Samsung Instinct

Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions on the new Samsung Instinct? The phone advertised as an "IPhone Killer". I want a new phone but I want something like a Blackberry but not a Blackberry or IPhone. So I was thinking maybe this would do it.

Article on it is here if you do not know about it.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...062002612.html
    Oxymoron:Microsoft Works

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Samsung Instinct

First question I will ask about a phone from now on: "Is it Linux compatible?"
    I do not own a Windows PC any more so kind of crucial

In answer to your question, it's up to you. I mean if the specifications are what you need, and you seem to have settled on this, then go for it. If there's something missing, trust me, there are 1,000,000 phones out there for every need.
    Want an alternative to 99% of Windows applications?
    http://www.osalt.com/

"Dude, real programmers compile" - Plato 428BC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by fatality_uk View Post
    First question I will ask about a phone from now on: "Is it Linux compatible?"
    My phone never interacts with my computer at all, so I guess that this is a non-issue for me. I have a feeling that my phone is so old that it won't connect to ANY type of computer.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

I would go for a HTC Diamond if I were to buy a new phone right now. It's easy to flash new operating systems, it's got nice specs, it handles SD extentions and quite frankly - it handles very sexily.
    Emil Visti

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by NovaAesa View Post
    My phone never interacts with my computer at all, so I guess that this is a non-issue for me. I have a feeling that my phone is so old that it won't connect to ANY type of computer.
    I know that feeling. Very old Nokia, which is replacing my Sony as that has died. I do think that one area I would like to see Linux pushing forward is in handset compatibility. I know Android is coming out soon, but be nice to have a Nokia client for instance to sync into Evolution or Thunderbird/Sunbird.
    Want an alternative to 99% of Windows applications?
    http://www.osalt.com/

"Dude, real programmers compile" - Plato 428BC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm not much into the "iPhone type of cellphone" business as I never liked touchscreens. I need an old reliable keyboard with a decent feedback tactile feeling
    The limits of my language mean the limits of my world

Beans

I really like my Instinct, yes, Sprint is a little spotty; however it's never been a big issue for me. (plus the unlimited plans are quite nice.) As far as linux support, I'm running hardy and its connecting with no issues. I just put a few gigs of music onto the phone, uploaded and downloaded some pictures. RhythmBox and F-Spot were automatically detected to manage my photos and music. All of which surprised me...I had a bit of an issue getting my Samsung P2 to play nice.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by lionstilidie View Post
    I really like my Instinct, yes, Sprint is a little spotty; however it's never been a big issue for me. (plus the unlimited plans are quite nice.) As far as linux support, I'm running hardy and its connecting with no issues. I just put a few gigs of music onto the phone, uploaded and downloaded some pictures. RhythmBox and F-Spot were automatically detected to manage my photos and music. All of which surprised me...I had a bit of an issue getting my Samsung P2 to play nice.
    Any news about the contacts manager? Did you have any luck with this?
    WVU Club Tennis
    ----
    Ubuntu Fiesty Fawn
    Dell E1705

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sportman1280 View Post
    Any news about the contacts manager?
    I have been using their website to manage contacts. Looks ok, though today they are having server problems.

It did a nice job of backing up all my contacts, if you don't mind sprint having your list.

I think the windows "media manager" is just that: media and not contacts. I ran it to check it out, but didn't see anything I wanted.

BTW, Nautilus has no problem figuring out that it is both a music payer and a camera. I don't even use that feature: I just plug it in and use a file manager to deal with the files. But I don't use it for music, so maybe there is something I wouldn't know was missing.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

having a phone is like making car payments. Why dive into another drug?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast