Thread: [SOLVED] Have to remove battery to shut down

Beans

[SOLVED] Have to remove battery to shut down

Long message, sorry....

Have Ubuntu/Gnome on notebook with auto login.

When Ubuntu crashes/hangs, the only way I can shut down is to hold down the power button.

But when I do that I can no longer power up - the lights are on indicating power and action, and the on button is lit (indicating the computer should be booting) but nothing happens. It just hangs there and will not start.

Holding down the power button again does nothing. The only way to fix this is unplug the power and remove the battery fully just to get it to power down. Then it re-boots fine.

CTRL ALT BACK is generally the cause of this - because of auto log in, when I do CTRL ALT BACK I get a "validation failed" error window ONTOP OF THE LOGIN SCREEN so I can't actually log in. The OK button on the error window just causes itself to display again (endless loop) - in this situation I have to hit the power button to get out.

This has to be wrong, surely!??!? Anyway to fix???

TenPlus1 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: Have to remove battery to shut down

From what I've read, holding down ALT + PRINT SCREEN, and at the same time, pressing each of these keys 1 second after the other: R E I S U B

This closes everything down safely and reboots...

Beans

Interesting. To a newbie, this sounds like a classic joke - like sending a new employee to buy striped paint; or a left handed paintbrush.

I did a Google, sorry for doubting you, and found it is common and does have logic behind those key strokes.

Thanks, I will remember this and try it next time.

Beans

Couldn't resist... just did CTRL-ALT-BACK to get the system to freeze, then did the suggested ALT-PRINT-R E I S U B and it worked perfectly. Shut down, and rebooted succesfully.

Someone suggested REISUB is 'busier' spelt backwards, and someone else suggested 'raising elephants is so utterly boring' - whatever works for you I guess.

Thanks again.