Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Wireless Woes in Hardy 8.04

Beans

Re: Wireless Woes in Hardy 8.04

The flaky theory might well be true -- it's a pretty old laptop. All I know is that it has run wireless on Windows without too much of a hassle. Of course, then it was running on the Microsoft card.

Nonetheless, I suppose I'll reinstall.

Thanks for the continuing support!

Beans

Follow-up:

Thank you, pytheas22 and others for your support; I'm sorry I didn't get back sooner. I just thought I'd post a follow-up about this.

My conclusion is that getting Netgear WPN111 to work on Ubuntu with a WPA/WPA2-encrypted network is not worth the hassle. I made no further tests on the laptop, but the problem was exactly the same on a fresh install of Ubuntu on my (considerably more capable) desktop computer. Following the steps in itsjared's tutorial exactly, the device is recognized and able to view wireless networks, but unable to connect to either of the two WPA/WPA2 networks that I tested.

My desktop running Ubuntu is connected via ethernet, and I plan to reinstall Windows XP on the laptop now that I have recovered the formerly misplaced install disks.

Thanks again, and best wishes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Thanks for letting us know how you ultimately got on. I agree that the WPN111 probably just isn't worth the hassle. Even after itsjareds got his working (for reasons that still remain foggy), he had issues with the device crashing arbitrarily. Plus it's impossible to use it on 64-bit systems, since there are no 64-bit Windows drivers available, hence no 64-bit ndiswrapper.

So to anyone else who has a WPN111 and wants to use WPA and/or 64-bit Linux: make your life easier and spend $20 on a USB stick that will work out-of-the-box in Ubuntu.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567