Thread: [SOLVED] rt2870

Hybrid View

Beans

[SOLVED] rt2870

I was wondering if somebody here kind enough with experience on this driver could hold my hand on this one.

I'm by no means senseless, but I don't quite understand the readme to the Ralink Tech 2870 driver found here.

The parts I'm having trouble with are:

define the linux kernel source include file path LINUX_SRC
    modify to meet your need.
    and

In os/linux/config.mk
    define the GCC and LD of the target machine
    define the compiler flags CFLAGS
    ** Build for being controlled by NetworkManager
    Please set 'HAS_WPA_SUPPLICANT=y' and 'HAS_NATIVE_WPA_SUPPLICANT_SUPPORT=y'.
    ** Build for being controlled by WpaSupplicant with Ralink Custom Event
    Please set 'HAS_WPA_SUPPLICANT=y' and 'HAS_NATIVE_WPA_SUPPLICANT_SUPPORT=n'.
    command: #./wpa_supplicant -Dralink -ira0 -c wpa_supplicant.conf -d
    What does it mean by define the kernel source and where can I find it if I do need to define it? And I don't even know where to begin with the second lot of quoted text, but starting off with explaining what the GCC and LD of the target machine as well as what the CFLAGS are would be a good start.

I'm currently using Gusty with the kernel version 2.6.22-15. The only protection I have on my router is mac address filtering and the fact that the ssid is hidden which is more than enough too keep the monkeys out around here.

Again, thanks in advance to any help provided.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: rt2870

define the linux kernel source include file path LINUX_SRC
    I think, if you have linux-headers-generic and build-essential installed, it will find the path without any help; it did on my system.
    In os/linux/config.mk
    define the GCC and LD of the target machine
    define the compiler flags CFLAGS
    ** Build for being controlled by NetworkManager
    Please set 'HAS_WPA_SUPPLICANT=y' and 'HAS_NATIVE_WPA_SUPPLICANT_SUPPORT=y'.
    ** Build for being controlled by WpaSupplicant with Ralink Custom Event
    Please set 'HAS_WPA_SUPPLICANT=y' and 'HAS_NATIVE_WPA_SUPPLICANT_SUPPORT=n'.
    command: #./wpa_supplicant -Dralink -ira0 -c wpa_supplicant.conf -d
    Since you don't have WPA and may not want it, we can safely skip the latter part. If you intend to allow Network Manager handle your wireless, you should cd 2870/2008_0528_RT2870_Linux_STA_v1.3.0.0/os/linux and sudo gedit config.mk and go down to line 11 and change:
    Code:
    HAS_WPA_SUPPLICANT=n
    to:
    Code:
    HAS_WPA_SUPPLICANT=y
    Then go to line 14 and change:
    Code:
    HAS_NATIVE_WPA_SUPPLICANT_SUPPORT=n
    to:
    Code:
    HAS_NATIVE_WPA_SUPPLICANT_SUPPORT=y
    Then proofread, save and close gedit. Next, cd /2870/2008_0528_RT2870_Linux_STA_v1.3.0.0 and run:
    Code:
    sudo make
    Then follow the remaining steps in the README_STA.

Post back if you get stuck.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Re: rt2870

Thank you kindly, sir. My Belkin Wireless N USB dongle now works with a significantly better connection than my old rtl8187 dongle chipset. The only problem I have now is when I iwconfig to see if everything is working correctly it shows that my mac address is still that of my old rtl8187 card even though it's unplugged.

That's a minor detail though. It doesn't seem to be causing any problems at the moment.

Again thank you for your time and support.
    It's greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by dse.37; June 23rd, 2008 at 08:37 AM.

Beans

Re: [SOLVED] rt2870

I'm also using this driver. The documentation is terrible from an Ubuntu point of view when it comes to loading the module at boot.

Can you share where you copied the ko file to and how you got it loading at boot (if you have)?

thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Although it's not mentioned, that I can see, in the README, if you run:
    Code:
    sudo make install
    it puts the module in the right place. It should load after reboot, but if not, post back and I'll show it my crowbar.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

thanks - that sorted it.