Thread: WPA works but WPA2 doesn't

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

WPA works but WPA2 doesn't

I just upgraded my router to DD-WRT v24, and I can't get my Ubuntu laptop to connect to it with WPA2 with nm-applet. It works fine with WPA, but WPA2 doesn't ever get past the swirling connection icon. It asks me for the key, I give it the key, it swirls around a while, then asks for the key again.
    "Please remember to do things the Ubuntu way. There is always more than one solution to a problem, choose the one you think will be the easiest for the user. ... Try to think as a green user and choose the simplest solution." — Code of Conduct

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: WPA works but WPA2 doesn't

Are you sure you entered the correct key ? I'm also using WPA2 on my network and never had any problem with connecting to it (with nm-applet). So I can't help you more than that (I'm using Hardy).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by hexanol View Post
    Are you sure you entered the correct key ? I'm also using WPA2 on my network and never had any problem with connecting to it (with nm-applet). So I can't help you more than that (I'm using Hardy).
    Yeah I used the same key for both.
    "Please remember to do things the Ubuntu way. There is always more than one solution to a problem, choose the one you think will be the easiest for the user. ... Try to think as a green user and choose the simplest solution." — Code of Conduct

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Are you sure your driver to your wireless card supports wpa2? An easy way to check would be to reboot your computer and then take a look at dmesg

dmesg | more

Look for something regarding your wireless device or interface name (such as wlan0). It should list the modes its capable of supporting. Another way to do this without rebooting would be to remove and then reinsert the kernel module (ie driver) for your driver -- the catch with this is that you need to know the name of the kernel module.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by kevdog View Post
    Are you sure your driver to your wireless card supports wpa2?
    It worked completely fine until I upgraded my router and changed the key. The only things that have changed are:

• Router version changed from DD-WRT v23 to v24
    • Key changed

Yesterday it worked just fine with WPA2.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Something fixed it. I had rebooted a few times with no luck, bt this time it worked. I don't know why.