Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sound stopped working

Beans

Re: Sound stopped working

Quote Originally Posted by corerunner View Post
    I had a similar issue where my sound just suddenly stopped working when I paused a quicktime movie. I tried restarting X, which somehow made Xfce unable to manage my desktop anymore. Then I rebooted and that allowed my desktop to work again but the sound was still off.

All volume controls were on, and the media players indicated that clips were playing. Finally I pressed one of the volume buttons on my ThinkPad and it started working again.

Haha, laugh all you want... I didn't touch the mute button, but somehow it got enabled. Just a thought.
    I'm not laughing - after spending 2h debugging my system, reinstalling alsa etc. etc. I just found your post and it saved my day. Exact same issue, also on a thinkpad - might actually be a bug.

Beans

Yes, as another Thinkpad user I too have had this issue. It may have originated with an application, in my case this was while using Audacious. However, I feel it may stem from a conflict between the keyboard sound control and that of the desktop control. The sound was effectively muted without the speaker icon or other displays showing it to be the case. Even now muting with the keyboard does not effect the status of the speaker icon, the sound however does mute. This was discovered after a reinstallation of the alsa drivers. Just another quirk or something deeper?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I had the same problem, using firefox and then no sound in videos or mp3s. This seemed to work for me: I did "sudo /etc/init.d/alsa-utils restart" and then closed and restarted firefox, sound works now.

Beans

I have just updated as of Aug 29 and now have no sound for youtube sites but have sound when playing back CD's or any stored music file. I have no opening or exit sounds and all the minimize (-) or maximize (+) or close icons that should appear in the open windows on the upper right corner are gone.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Try running these commands:

sudo apt-get remove flashplugin-nonfree
    sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans

Got the same issue. I use amaroK in the Gnome environment and after I paused the music and wanted it to continue playing, it just gave no sound.

I restarted my alsa-utils, I restarted amaroK, all the volume controls of my sound are turned up and System > Preferences > Sounds is all set on autodetect.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Amaron,

Which System76 model do you have? Did you run the System76 driver and reboot?

Emily's problem has been solved. It was a program for running a modem that conflicted with ALSA.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by thomasaaron View Post
    Amaron,

Which System76 model do you have? Did you run the System76 driver and reboot?

Emily's problem has been solved. It was a program for running a modem that conflicted with ALSA.
    I don't know what a System76 model is or where I could check the driver.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Armaron View Post
    I don't know what a System76 model is or where I could check the driver.
    http://system76.com/

^
    |
    "System76 Support"

Are you using a system76 Laptop or Desktop?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

This forum is for the support of System76 computers. Did you purchase your computer from System76?

If you did, you can go to System > Administration > System76 Driver and see your model number. In fact, while you are there, click on the Install Tab and Install Button to fix your sound, and then reboot your computer for the drivers to take effect.

If you do not have a System76 computer, we might still be able to point you in the right direction, but we don't have non-System76 computer models in our shop to test with.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast