Thread: booting Ubuntu studio 7.10 GUI?

Beans

booting Ubuntu studio 7.10 GUI?

Hey i just installed Ubuntu studio using Virtual pc 2007. The problem i have is that it doesn't seem to boot into the gnome interface.

Please could someone lend a hand. Maybe a Solution or even what you think might be happening.

I have installed Ubuntu studio 7.04 and it works fine, i even got the mouse working with a little help. But i haven't got a clue how to boot the GUI instead of teh command line.

thanks for you help.

Beans

Re: booting Ubuntu studio 7.10 GUI?

Are you getting any error messages? What part is it stopping at? If you are able to get to a terminal (Ctrl+Alt+F2) check to see if you have the ubuntustudio-desktop package installed
    Code:
    dpkg -l ubuntustudio-desktop
    Ubuntu Newbie Help: irc: #beginners-help on network irc.freenode.net
    Help others, mark your threads solved.

Beans

Thanks for you help.

as i read your post i realised that i have been trying the comand

'sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop'

when in fact i should be using 'ubuntustudio-desktop'

SO i used the new command and it started to install, but then virual pc went and crashed mid install..... Now when i try to run the cimmand again im getting this error:

'E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg -- configure -a' to correct the problem.'

When i try to run this command i get an error saying that dpkg requires superuser privilege, does this mean i neeed to use the admin acount? how do i do that?

thanks again for your help.

Beans

Well i've managed to do that, but it just doesn't seem to be working. when running the cammand using sudo it gets as far as 'starting up launch-pad intergration 0.1.15 and just stops.

im gonna go ahead and re install and see if that changes anything. Any more help will still be welcome.

Thanks.

Beans

There should be a stage in the install process that allows you to choose some of the packages, make sure you choose ubuntustudio-desktop.
    Ubuntu Newbie Help: irc: #beginners-help on network irc.freenode.net
    Help others, mark your threads solved.

Beans

Thanks a lot for you help. I managed to install ubuntu studio 8.04 under virtual box instead of using virtual pc. I must have screwed up the install of the desktop but its all ok now.

Thanks again for the help.