Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Wii remote in Ubuntu 8.04

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Wii remote in Ubuntu 8.04

I'm having a problem with wminput thinking that my screen is about 200x200 pixels. The pointer will move and get to the edge of that box but won't move any further. Does anyone know if it's possible to provide the actual display size?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

So, if you have a wii guitar and frets on fire, would this allow you to use the guitar instead of the keyboard to play frets on fire?

Beans

BLT: Yes, I believe it would allow that. I've not actually tried it myself, but the technical side should work fine, and I think I've seen a mention somewhere of someone doing it.

If you do, and you get it working, it might be worth adding the config file you use to the howto, or to the wiki page as well! Though I imagine it will simply be a case of mapping the buttons on the guitar to the appropriate keys.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm dtill kind of a noob with all of this, but leffect is right. I believe it's just a matter of mapping buttons, just like you do with a Classic Controller to play an emulator. I'm gonna try all this as soon as I get my "Wiimote-on-Ubuntu-mojo" going again And when I manage to install everything again !
    7$]-[!8@\|//\Rr!0|2!!!
    =D>
    My Little Ubuntu Blog!

Beans

I've got a computer at home hooked up to the same TV the Wii's plugged into, so the sensor bar's conveniently on top of it, but until recently it's been running Feisty, but earlier this week, I upgraded it to Hairy, via Gusty, using the update manager gui. I was really impressed that I managed it without rebooting once (uptime's now about 135 days \o/ )

Anyway, now that I've got that up to date, I can start using the new version of CWiid as discussed in this tutorial, so I'm going to give all this stuff a more serious try! I don't have a Guitar Hero guitar yet though, so that's going to have to wait, but apparently I'll be getting one for my birthday in a month or so!

I shall report back over the weekend, when I've seen how it goes!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by leffect View Post
    I've got a computer at home hooked up to the same TV the Wii's plugged into, so the sensor bar's conveniently on top of it, but until recently it's been running Feisty, but earlier this week, I upgraded it to Hairy, via Gusty, using the update manager gui. I was really impressed that I managed it without rebooting once (uptime's now about 135 days \o/ )

Anyway, now that I've got that up to date, I can start using the new version of CWiid as discussed in this tutorial, so I'm going to give all this stuff a more serious try! I don't have a Guitar Hero guitar yet though, so that's going to have to wait, but apparently I'll be getting one for my birthday in a month or so!

I shall report back over the weekend, when I've seen how it goes!
    Yeah let us know how it goes for you. As for the guitar hero guitar, I don't have one yet neither...they're too pricey...

I may get one when Rock Band ll comes out...now that's a hot wii-game...although probably due to hardware differences the PS3 and X360 version will be better...just like any other "port-to-every-systm-game"...

Anyways, hope you get all of this working good !
    7$]-[!8@\|//\Rr!0|2!!!
    =D>
    My Little Ubuntu Blog!

Beans
    Distro

Oh I was just asking, because I think that would be cool. I don't have any infrared thingies on my computer, so I won't be trying it. Shame the wii sensor bar won't just plug in, lol.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by BLTicklemonster View Post
    Oh I was just asking, because I think that would be cool. I don't have any infrared thingies on my computer, so I won't be trying it. Shame the wii sensor bar won't just plug in, lol.
    You can get a "Wireless Wii Sensor Bar" for $20 at GameStop...Or you can build one yourself like Rhubarb and others here have done...

Besides, you can use the wiimote with the non-infrared thingy...in accelerometer mode...

Anyways, this is uber cool!
    7$]-[!8@\|//\Rr!0|2!!!
    =D>
    My Little Ubuntu Blog!

Beans

You never know, they might leave the graphics at the level the slowest system can cope with, so the PS3 gets Wii style graphics!

OK, probably not... But the Wii version of Godfather had new style controls, but still the same graphics as the PS2 version. Was still fun though!

I'll post to let you all know how the Wiimote thing goes. Probably tomorrow, although I'm not going to set up anything too clever, at least at first!

I threw together an IR light to use with my laptop as well... It was just a USB cable with the (non USB A plug) end cut off, and a resistor and IR LED soldered to the power lines. I stuck a bit of heat shrink over the components as well to make it neat. I played around with resistor values a bit, trying to get a decent range without damaging anything... In the end went for a fairly low resistance (can't remember what I used in the end - sorry), so the LED's very bright (slightly longer range than the sensor bar, I think) but the resistor does get a bit hot... Might use 2 LEDs in series next time, and perhaps 2 resistors to spread the heat out a bit!

You can also use a light bulb, but they tend not to be in as convenient a place, and they're not as good as LEDs. Check WMInput with the camera data on - you can see what the Wiimote's picking up from the black dots on the camera view.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Toshibawarrior View Post
    You can get a "Wireless Wii Sensor Bar" for $20 at GameStop...Or you can build one yourself like Rhubarb and others here have done...

Besides, you can use the wiimote with the non-infrared thingy...in accelerometer mode...

Anyways, this is uber cool!
    Oh, I actually have an extra sensor bar besides the one already hooked to the wii. I just meant it would be cool if I could use it on the computer, lol.

Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast