Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Wii remote in Ubuntu 8.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: HOWTO: Wii remote in Ubuntu 8.04

Quote Originally Posted by Nxion View Post
    Can someone please tell me if any IR reciver that I buy will let me use the wii remote as a mouse?
    what you need is an IR source.
    So as long as you the device has IR emitters it should be fine. Thats why even candles work. But having a good IR LEDs will prbably aid in good tracking...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Rhubarb View Post
    madu, please read my previous posts a bit more closely - it's all in there.
    So long as your wiimote can see at least 1 IR LED, it will work.
    Your wiimote must not be able to see more than 4 IR LEDs at a time.
    You may be better off placing your IR LEDs at each corner of your screen, top right, top left, bottom right, bottom left. This will give you more swinging freedom on your wiimote than IR LEDs placed top, bottom, left and right.
    Also, the IR LEDs don't necessarily have to be near your screen, they just have to be somewhere where you'd like to be able to swing your wiimote around in.

Thanks Rhubarb.
    I made the IR sensors over the weekend and tried having them around my monitor. But unfortunately it wasn't very succesful. I placed 4 IR LEDs in the four sides/corners. This depends on how and where you use it, but I tried with the same position as I would normally use my mouse and it was not usable. Becasue of the small distance from the Wiimote to monitor, Wiimote couldnt see all 4 LEDs at the same time. Probably it can only see one LED. so when I want to move the cursor around to corners, Wiimote tracking changed from one LED to the next. and everytime it sees a new LED (and lose the sight of the last LED) the mouse pointer resets back and starts. So you can't get a continuous motion.

Ofcourse this depends on your monitor size and how you handle the Wiimote. After some moving around I found the best place for the LED's is the bottom of the monitor. Still can't cover the complete monitor but gives a fairly good area. Angled the LED's so that they face the Wiimote. I'm not sure if its just me, but are the IR LEDs supposed to illuminate like normal LEDs? because the IR LEDs I got just faintly illuminate and they also have a range of about 45 degrees.

All in all, it was a pretty interesting thing. Tried the whiteboard too. and like I said, with an IR LED of 45 degree range, pretty difficult to get it working. Still working on that..

Finally want to thank you guys for helping out.

Cheers!

Beans

So this works great.

So what stops the wiimote being paired with the Ubuntu machine when you want to use the Wii?

I can't test this as my Wii is having it's laser cleaned.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Apparently the Wii-mote is instantly possessed by the Wii console as soon as it turns on. My wii-mote stops working with my laptop as soon as the Wii becomes active...

I haven't found a way to stop this...
    7$]-[!8@\|//\Rr!0|2!!!
    =D>
    My Little Ubuntu Blog!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Love the guide, its perfect.

But - How do I map my Nunchuk joystick to WASD keys so that I can use them in, say ETQW?

Beans

madu, thanks for your investigations, I don't think I fully understood what you where saying before, but now I understand.
    I just tested it with 2 IR LEDs, and you're right, seeing 1 LED is ok, seeing 2 LEDs is ok, but when one LED goes out of its field of view, the mouse cursor resets back to its previous position.
    This does pose quite a big problem, the only way I can think to resolve this issue is to either submit a patch to wminput to fix this bug, or to space out your IR LEDs so at most your wiimote will only be able to see one IR LED at a time (there will be brief positions where your wiimote won't be able to see any IR LEDs).
    IR LEDs don't appear to give off much light because they're Infra-Red (it's light that your eyes can't pickup very well) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infra_red
    My whiteboard IR pen actually has an IR LED poking out the side of it, so the IR LED directly faces the wiimote (rather than having to reflect off the monitor)

dc2447, I don't know, I don't own a Wii console myself, you'll have to experiment

Toshibawarrior, as I don't own a Wii console myself, I could be very wrong, but there's a button inside the battery compartment of your wiimote that may tell your wiimote to prefer to pair with Ubuntu rather than your Wii console. As always you may have to experiment a bit to work this out.

Holmen, it may be possible to use a program in the Ubuntu repositories called joy2key (translates joystick movement which is what the wiimote reports back, into keyboard buttons).
    Alternatively you could compile wminput's extra plugins:
    http://kyrlian.free.fr/binaries/cwiid/latest/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	close-up.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	21.5 KB 
ID:	76968   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	setup.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	76969  
    Work smart, not hard.

Beans
    Distro

]
    Thats a neat IR pen mate. My IR LED doesn't illuminate as much. Actually it doesn't illuminate at all.. I can see it working if I switch off all lights and see it very closely.. it's same as a remote control IR.. maybe I need to find a better one..

Thanks for that link for the plugin.. any idea what the ir_fps is doing?

Cheers!

Beans

madu you probably don't need a better IR LED, the whole point of infra-red is that you can't see it. It can only been seen easily using a digital camera (like on your phone or webcam), or using wmgui (Settings --> IR Data) which shows you what your wiimote can see.
    The digital camera that took the pictures of my IR LED pen appears to filter out a lot of IR light, so better to try with a cheap camera like in a typical mobile phone.

I haven't tried out ir_fps yet, I may try it if I buy a nunchuck in future.
    For some (brief) details about it:
    http://kyrlian.free.fr/binaries/cwiid/latest/howto
    Work smart, not hard.

Beans
    Distro

madu you probably don't need a better IR LED, the whole point of infra-red is that you can't see it. It can only been seen easily using a digital camera (like on your phone or webcam), or using wmgui (Settings --> IR Data) which shows you what your wiimote can see.
    The digital camera that took the pictures of my IR LED pen appears to filter out a lot of IR light, so better to try with a cheap camera like in a typical mobile phone.

I haven't tried out ir_fps yet, I may try it if I buy a nunchuck in future.
    For some (brief) details about it:
    http://kyrlian.free.fr/binaries/cwiid/latest/howto

Thanks mate.
    I think I need to first have a proper solid place to mount the Wiimote to do the calibration.

Beans

If you've got a camera tripod, you can attach your wiimote to it with some rubber bands. It's probably not a good long term solution, but good if you just want to impress your friends
    Work smart, not hard.

Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast