Thread: Will this computer spec run Ubuntu 8.04 x64 well?

Beans

Will this computer spec run Ubuntu 8.04 x64 well?

Athlon 64 5200+ (Socket AM2) X2 DualCore, Life Time Warranty
    GIGABYTE - 3 Years Warranty MA78GM-S2H AM2+, 780G, DDR2 1066 HDMI
    DDR II 1066Mhz - Life Time Warranty 2x2GB OCZ Reaper HPC Edition Dual Channel
    Seagate - 320GB 7200RPM, 16MB, SATA II
    ASUS - 3 Years Warranty HD 3850 512MB GDDR3 DX10.1 HDTV 2xDVI PCI-E
    HEC Hec Compucase 6C60 Midi Tower No PSU
    Thermaltake TR2 Power W0070 430W Silent (24pin)

This machine is mainly for HD video watching. I'll use it sometimes for gaming as well.
    Anyway, I couldn't find information about the video card and the motherboard on either compatibility lists. If someone had experience with one or more of the listed components, I'd love to hear what he or she has to say. All I wanna know is whether I'll have compatibility issues or not.
    Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Will this computer spec run Ubuntu 8.04 x64 well?

the best way to know for sure is to run the live cd and check everything out. all you have to do is download the iso, burn it and boot off it. this way nothing changes on your hard drive while you use ubuntu.

you can also install and run all other software you want straight off the live cd and see how it works.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by spinfx View Post
    the best way to know for sure is to run the live cd and check everything out. all you have to do is download the iso, burn it and boot off it. this way nothing changes on your hard drive while you use ubuntu.

you can also install and run all other software you want straight off the live cd and see how it works.

The problem is I won't be able to change anything at the hardware level after I buy this machine. I need to be certain before I buy this components, so that if there's something wrong I'll change it now, and avoid the headache of changing it afterward.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Well, it is an ATI Radeon HD 3850. ATI cards aren't the best choice for a Linux system, but it should work well enough. You can find a Linux-centric article about the card here.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mivo View Post
    Well, it is an ATI Radeon HD 3850. ATI cards aren't the best choice for a Linux system, but it should work well enough. You can find a Linux-centric article about the card here.
    Thanks for the reply.
    A quotation from the article:
    As we had reported last week with these two Radeon HD 3800 series graphics cards, they aren't yet officially supported by the open-source RadeonHD driver but they do function with the Catalyst 7.11 driver for Linux (and are just identified as being an "RV670")
    I take it that the open source driver is better? If it is, does it support the HD 3850 today (the article was published at December 2007)?
    I don't game often, and when I do, I usually use Windows. This Ubuntu system is mainly for HD playback. Does the Catalyst driver described there below (version 7.12) is good enough for that purpose?