Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TuxGuitar 1.0 Released!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

TuxGuitar 1.0 Released!

One of my favorite projects has finally reached 1.0 status! When I first got hooked onto Ubuntu/Linux, I had to let go of one of my favorite programs - Guitar Pro. So, I immediately went searching for a Linux alternative and I found TuxGuitar. This was about a year ago, and nothing was moving. I figured the project was dead (albeit, it had a lot of potential). I'm really glad that they are continuing to work on this fantastic program.

For the uninitiated... TuxGuitar will read *.gp3, *.gp4, and *.gp5 files (GuitarPro files) that contain guitar tablature. These file can be found on sites such as http://ultimate-guitar.com/. This is great for people who want to learn how to play the guitar and/or learn how to play their favorite songs. Plus, *.gpx files can also contain tablature for other instruments (bass, vocals, drums, etc.). On top of that, TuxGuitar (the idea taken from GuitarPro), plays back the song in real-time midi (sounds pretty good) so the listener can hear the musical notes and read the score. Pretty cool stuff.

Oh, BTW, if your adventurous you can make your own tabs too. I think

For those who use TuxGuitar/know of it... It seems a lot of bugs have been fixed and there's a good deal of polish to the program now. Plus, the midi problem is not here anymore (not for me at least). You don't have to fiddle around with Timidity and run this and that program to get the sound working. Seems to be working out of the box now!

I encourage guitarists to check it out. Debs are readily available. Here's the link: http://www.tuxguitar.com.ar/

I've included a screenshot for kicks.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by isaacj87; June 22nd, 2008 at 01:49 AM.
    Laptop: [AMD Vision A4-3300M | 8GB RAM | ATI Radeon 6480G | Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit]

Studio Box: [AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ | 4GB RAM | Nvidia 210 | M-Audio FastTrackPro | KXStudio 11.04 64-bit | 2.6.31-rt14-custom | KDE 4.6.5]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: TuxGuitar 1.0 Released!

sweet... I like to download tabs, mute the guitar tracks, and play along
    Thinkpad T61p: 15.4" WUXGA Screen, Core 2 Duo T9300, 4GB DDR2, 512MB Quadro 570M, 160GB 7200RPM HDD, DVD+RW, Intel 4965AGN+Bluetooth, 9 Cell Battery
    http://blog.zachtib.com

Beans

Thanks for the heads up. I've been running GP in wine, which is ok.

JUst installed Tux 1.0 and it's looking very nice. Excellent GUI. Playing back gp files perfectly it seems.

Don't you just got a soft warm feeling inside when an open source project hits v1.0 and the functionality is awesome
    Last edited by sonicb00m; June 21st, 2008 at 07:14 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sonicb00m View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. I've been running GP in wine, which is ok.

JUst installed Tux 1.0 and it's looking very nice. Excellent GUI. Playing back gp files perfectly it seems.

Don't you just got a soft warm feeling inside when an open source project hits v1.0 and the functionality is awesome
    Definitely

Hey, just a question (since I haven't used GuitarPro in quite some time), what are some noticeable difference between the two? Are there some features missing or is TuxGuitar pretty much on par?
    Laptop: [AMD Vision A4-3300M | 8GB RAM | ATI Radeon 6480G | Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit]

Studio Box: [AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ | 4GB RAM | Nvidia 210 | M-Audio FastTrackPro | KXStudio 11.04 64-bit | 2.6.31-rt14-custom | KDE 4.6.5]

Beans
    Hidden!

I hope you don't mind. I don't know anything about tab programs. so I ask you to turn this into a tuxguitar file format.

http://www.ubuntuboxes.co.uk/looktj/...ingmachine.txt
    Linux user #438926.|Ubuntu Linux #10924| Questions: The Smart Way

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by isaacj87 View Post
    Hey, just a question (since I haven't used GuitarPro in quite some time), what are some noticeable difference between the two? Are there some features missing or is TuxGuitar pretty much on par?
    First of all, they made a major change in the GUI. After GP5 hit, they added .gp5 support. There are a few additions to noting (like displaying chords). Now you can export to Lilypond, which makes it just delicious.

I love this application and recommend it to every Guitar Pro user I know because most of them pirate GP. This is better than GP (GP lacks Power Tab and Lilypond support) and it's free.
    My blog | Ubuntu Hardware List | Wine Application Database | Jamendo
    (Don't "sudo rm -rf" anything. See this page)
    It's all about fixing BUG #1!

Beans

Does the team have any plans to include real drums/percussion notation? As it is, it's kind of like the way they did it in Power Tab. Other than that, it's a great program.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by boomtisk View Post
    Does the team have any plans to include real drums/percussion notation? As it is, it's kind of like the way they did it in Power Tab. Other than that, it's a great program.
    My guess is no. I wouldn't be surprised if they did though. That's the beauty of open-source, being able to cater to the user's needs.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    I hope you don't mind. I don't know anything about tab programs. so I ask you to turn this into a tuxguitar file format.

http://www.ubuntuboxes.co.uk/looktj/...ingmachine.txt
    I could give it a shot, but there isn't any discernible rhythm/count/etc. I'd have to hear it being played first.

Beans
    Hidden!

Awesome! I love this project as well. When I switched to Linux I thought I was going to have to live without Guitar Pro, which was pretty hard since I used it so much. Turns out I was wrong.

GP lacks Power Tab and Lilypond support
    In GP5 you can use .ptb files. I believe it has to change it to .gp5 format first though.
    Last edited by RiceMonster; June 21st, 2008 at 07:39 PM.
    Code:
    while true; do echo -n "RiceMonster "; done
    Best thread ever

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast